Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1997 Subaru Outback AWD wagon. It was a 1 owner car, so it seemed like a good buy. It has about 108K on it.

When is the recommended times to have the timing belt replaced on these models?

Here is the 'major' work that has been completed:

alternator (covered by factory recall)

head gasket (at 77,063 miles)

front wheel bearings (100,976 miles)

According to the seller, the mechanic recommended:

1)replacing the factory-original radiator hoses and

2)ignition system.

Both of these are 'due to the age of the car', and nothing wrong with them.

Would it be wise to have these items replaced? Is this a 'do it yourself' project, or something I should have done by a mechanic?

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to driving my 1st Subaru.

-andrew

Leave the ignition system, if it ain't broken....

The coolant hoses are a good idea though, including those that feed the cabin heater. These harden and lose their ability to seal and this can lead to overheating and subsequent damage.

If you decide to replace the hoses, make sure you search this board for the tips to purging the air from the boxer engine. Most important is filling slowly through the upper hose and then idling with the rad cap off until the fan starts. Top off, close rad cap.

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1997 Subaru Outback AWD wagon. It was a 1 owner car, so it seemed like a good buy. It has about 108K on it.

When is the recommended times to have the timing belt replaced on these models?

Here is the 'major' work that has been completed:

alternator (covered by factory recall)

head gasket (at 77,063 miles)

front wheel bearings (100,976 miles)

According to the seller, the mechanic recommended:

1)replacing the factory-original radiator hoses and

2)ignition system.

Both of these are 'due to the age of the car', and nothing wrong with them.

Would it be wise to have these items replaced? Is this a 'do it yourself' project, or something I should have done by a mechanic?

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to driving my 1st Subaru.

-andrew

Timing belt should have been replaced at 105,000. If it wasn't, have that done ASAP along with water pump and all associated seals. Good idea to do the hoses, and probably plug wires.

Timing belt should have been replaced at 105,000. If it wasn't, have that done ASAP along with water pump and all associated seals. Good idea to do the hoses, and probably plug wires.

Yeah, rubber gets old after 8 years. Replace it just because sooner or later, it'll start leaking, or blow a hose. Same with the fan/alternator/etc belt. And if you're in there to replace the timing belt, do the water pump at the same time just for good measure.

I have a '61 landrover with the original hoses on it, so they certainly CAN last longer. They don't leak (probably fused to the block by now), but I would not drive it more than a mile or two without replacing them though -- they bulge ominously.

Welcome to the SOOB family. You are in for some fun with this car. Especially if you have snow in the winter.

If you have the receipt for the headgasket work I would check to see if the timing belts were replaced then. They should have been done then if they were thinking ahead.

Unless you are having poor mileage problems I would leave the plug wires alone as others have said also but you should replace the spark plugs if they haven't been changed out yet. Stick with NGK's and things will be fine there. If you do the plugs yourself then you may want to put a little antiseize compound on the threads to help out the next time they are pulled.

Enjoy the ride and drive on.

Edit

To Ron917: I see we were thinking the same things at the same time.