Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi folks, I am a new member to UltimateSubaru. My wife has a 2003 Forester 2.5ix and I have a 99 OBW. I have done some internet searching a for a problem with my OB. When I accelerate rapidly straight, or moderately on a turn both from a stop, I get a pronounced shudder (which feels like it is coming from the rearend). I inserted the FWD fuse, and the shudder went away. (And on hard turning acceleration I could smoke the front tires, HE HE!). From what I've read on various posts, It may be the "DUTY C SOLENOID"?? BTW, it is a 2.5, with Auto trans. I appreciate any troubleshooting info or help. Thanks. I am a fair, but slow mechanic and electrician. Thanks again.

I guess My questions are: 1. How expensive is it to replace/fix the Duty C solenoid? 2. Where is it located? 3. What else could the problem be? 4. What is the logical order to troubleshoot to find the problem and fix it? Thanks again

Hi folks, I am a new member to UltimateSubaru. My wife has a 2003 Forester 2.5ix and I have a 99 OBW. I have done some internet searching a for a problem with my OB. When I accelerate rapidly straight, or moderately on a turn both from a stop, I get a pronounced shudder (which feels like it is coming from the rearend). I inserted the FWD fuse, and the shudder went away. (And on hard turning acceleration I could smoke the front tires, HE HE!). From what I've read on various posts, It may be the "DUTY C SOLENOID"?? BTW, it is a 2.5, with Auto trans. I appreciate any troubleshooting info or help. Thanks. I am a fair, but slow mechanic and electrician. Thanks again.

I would say, based on good logic in previous discussions with Legacy 777 and others here, that the 'duty solenoid C' is functioning fine, and your problem is likely the clutch pack itself. It's worth measuring the circumference of your tires. I suppose, it could be a frozen U joint, though it would still be turning, there would be no power on it.

Likely clutch pack is bad.

if all your tires are the same model with the same mileage then check the tire pressure and change the tranny fluid. if you have mismatched tires change then ASAP and drive with the FWD fuse in until then. once you have new tires change the tranny fluid and keep a close eye on tire pressure.

Thank you Charlie and Lucky LoneStar for your replies. My tires are all the same, and have 8K miles on them. The whole Transmission was swapped with a Junk yard one out of a 60K car two weeks ago. My OBW had this problem prior to the swap and still has it after the swap. Of course new fluid and both filters were changed with the swap. I changed the tranny for a different reason. (The car would go reverse, but not forward) Thanks for any more trouble shooting you can give me.

if all your tires are the same model with the same mileage then check the tire pressure and change the tranny fluid. if you have mismatched tires change then ASAP and drive with the FWD fuse in until then. once you have new tires change the tranny fluid and keep a close eye on tire pressure.

Thanks the tires are all fairly new and fluid changed two weeks ago.

Was the transmission flushed or the fluid changed. HUGE differnence. If it was not flushed, then that can still be your problem.

Actually its sort of rare to have TB in a 99 model. After 97 1/2 they changed the design to cure the duty c valve seat erosion and i think bearing failure. It sounds like you got a tranny from a model that had mismatched tires, and thats the fastest way to kill the clutch pack on ANY awd car, not just soobies.

Hope there is some sort of warrenty on the tranny.

nipper

I don't know what the shop did other than put a different transmission in it. I can try to find out. What questions should I ask them??

They did give me a three month 3000 mile warranty.

Was the transmission flushed or the fluid changed. HUGE differnence. If it was not flushed, then that can still be your problem.

Actually its sort of rare to have TB in a 99 model. After 97 1/2 they changed the design to cure the duty c valve seat erosion and i think bearing failure. It sounds like you got a tranny from a model that had mismatched tires, and thats the fastest way to kill the clutch pack on ANY awd car, not just soobies.

Hope there is some sort of warrenty on the tranny.

nipper

Somone else can answer here, as i dont know if the trannies have date codes or not. I would make sure the fluid isnt burnt. I am not sure what to do about checking it once its out of the car.

I would think the tranny shop would know how to inspect the clutchpack, it may be a little more work for them, but they should be able to do it to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I am sure the tranny shop is going to be as upset as you are about it.

nipper