Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh S--t...say it ain't so!

Hello Subarufolk,

It's my 1996 OB with the 2.5L engine.

--Some crud in my Coolant OF tank...not oil or 'chocolate mousse', tho. Black particulant matter.

--A slow bubbling in the OF tank (from time to time).

However,

--Runs excellent with no signs of overheating at all.

--OF tank does not lose much coolant and does not overflow

--Nothing on Oil cap or dipstick to indicate adulteration of oil

--Not an undue amount of steam from the tailpipe.

The coolant and hoses are very old and tired, for sure. I'm fairly certain the radiator cap is good.

What could it be (besides a blown you-know-what)

I appreciate all the input,

Damien

not overheating? pull the auto trans dip stick out (warmed up) & see if you see fumes (may want to use a flashlight to do this inspection).... it is possible that the trans cooler (running through the radiator) has breeched.... this is an easier job to repair than the HG's...

new/used radiator

flush the cooling system until it runs clear

be sure you leave NO air pockets in the CS

flush the trans system a few times....

good to go.

Later,

Peter

Hello Subarufolk,

It's my 1996 OB with the 2.5L engine.

--Some crud in my Coolant OF tank...not oil or 'chocolate mousse', tho. Black particulant matter.

--A slow bubbling in the OF tank (from time to time).

However,

--Runs excellent with no signs of overheating at all.

--OF tank does not lose much coolant and does not overflow

--Nothing on Oil cap or dipstick to indicate adulteration of oil

--Not an undue amount of steam from the tailpipe.

The coolant and hoses are very old and tired, for sure. I'm fairly certain the radiator cap is good.

What could it be (besides a blown you-know-what)

I appreciate all the input,

Damien

Same symptoms of the precursor to head gasket failure in my 96' at 130K, had the same black crud floating in the coolant - may or may not be related though as I am not sure if it was/is a symtom warning of HG failer. At 138K mine started to have bubbling in the coolant and slow rise in the temperture gauge above normal.

Keep an "eye" on it and have it checked with a leak-down test.

How many miles on yours BTW??

Same symptoms of the precursor to head gasket failure in my 96' at 130K, had the same black crud floating in the coolant - may or may not be related though as I am not sure if it was/is a symtom warning of HG failer. At 138K mine started to have bubbling in the coolant and slow rise in the temperture gauge above normal.

Keep an "eye" on it and have it checked with a leak-down test.

How many miles on yours BTW??

I got 155K miles on my OB. Temp gauge has remained steady for the last 10K miles.

Damien

My '99 Outback has had the same symptoms for the last 12K miles. After a while, you will be able to smell exhaust in the coolant.

My car has never overheated.

In warm weather, after a trip on the interstate, the overflow tank will be higher than normal, and the coolant will not be sucked back into the rad. I use a baster (stolen from the kitchen) to transfer coolant back to the rad in that case. It's never more than 4 to 6 ounces of "extra" coolant in the overflow. I check the level religiously, every 3 days at most.

Since I now have 100K miles, a leaky crank seal and/or oil pump, old belts and hoses, and it's due for a timing belt in 5K miles anyway, I'm just gonna tear the whole thing down and change the head gaskets, all seals, water pump, timing belt, etc, etc. The car has never needed any other major work, so I should be good until the next timing belt at 200K miles.

Yes, check to make sure you don't just have a leak from the auto trans fluid cooling system.

Then, remove and flush the OF tank. Fill it to the FULL mark with fresh coolant and keep a watchful eye on the temp gauge and coolant level.

Even if the you-know-what is leaking, keeping the coolant topped up will keep you runnning for a long time!