Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter Motor?

Just got done with my head gasket job, started it up and it ran great, so I think I was sucsessful. Came back to start it up and it wouldnt turn over. All that happenes is a high pitch buzz comes from the starter motor, 5 seconds later it stops and a lower pitch buzz comes from around the starter. I would assume this is a bad starter but since I just did a head gasket job and disconnected a lot of wires I thought it might be a bad connection but I can't find one. Anyone know what it could be. Also how do I hot wire the starter, do I just connect wires to where the battery cables connect to the starter?

Thanks

just hot wire the starter using a jumper cable mypassing all the wiring and see if it cranks. Also wouldnt hurt to check all your cables to make sure they are clean and tight. You can als jump from the negative on the battery to a nice good spot on the engine and see if it starts. ONe way would dell you if its a hot side problem, the other a ground cable that you forgot.

nipper

Here's a weird thing that I did when my starter stopped working, and I was poor...ooops I still am, and I had more time and bicycle grease then money. Anyways I took my starter completely apart and cleaned it inside and out, put it back together with grease where it needed to be and boom, 20k miles later...still works every morning regardless of how cold it gets.

Just got done with my head gasket job, started it up and it ran great, so I think I was sucsessful. Came back to start it up and it wouldnt turn over. All that happenes is a high pitch buzz comes from the starter motor, 5 seconds later it stops and a lower pitch buzz comes from around the starter. I would assume this is a bad starter but since I just did a head gasket job and disconnected a lot of wires I thought it might be a bad connection but I can't find one. Anyone know what it could be. Also how do I hot wire the starter, do I just connect wires to where the battery cables connect to the starter?

Thanks

Do you have access to a volt meter? If so, then first check the battery voltage while trying to crank the engine. Battery voltage should not drop below about 10.5 volts or so. If it does then the battery may be bad. If the voltage reading stays near battery voltage before cranking, then keep the volt meter pos lead (RED) on the pos post of the battery and move the neg lead (BLACK) to the pos terminal on the starter solonoid and crank the engine again. This time the voltage reading should read .2 volts or lower. Remember to make sure that the meter leads are placed on the batt. post (not the battery cable terminal) and on the starter solonoid post (threaded post). This will ensure that you are testing the entire pos cable assy. If this checks out ok, then move the black lead to the lower terminal on the starter solonoid and the red lead to the upper terminal on the solonoid where the black lead had been and crank the engine. The voltage should again read about .2 volts or lower. However, from your post I don't think this part of the test is necessary as the voltage getting to the starter isn't enough to close the solonoid. The next part of the test involves testing the neg side of the starter circuit. For this test, place the red lead on a clean engine ground (starter housing is best) and the black lead on the neg post of the battery and crank the engine. The voltage reading should again be .2 volts or less. Any reading above .2 volts on any of these tests shows that that part of the circuit between the meter test leads has a bad connection. This is called the voltage drop test, can help you out a lot.