Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy awd wagon - rear end vibration

hi from a new subaru owner,

after having nothing but VW golfs i have taken the plunge with subaru. people who i know who have them love them and go on about their reliability - but to the point. picked up a 95 legacy 5 speed manual awd wagon with 113k, all engine seals replaced, engine, trans, and clutch are strong. the rear end seems to have a low level hum/vibration until around 65mph when it becomes worse(the higher the speed the worse it becomes). upon coasting the vibration is still there, and upon deceleration while coasting(or in gear) the vibration decreases as speed is reduced to zero but is still there. I originally attributed it to the idiosyncracy of an awd car but with prior experience with vw's i am thinking struts or cv joints. any help would be greatly appreciated. also anyone know a good(not just a parts changer) private garage/mechanic near middlesex county nj.

thanks,

david

Maybe you need a brake inspection to check if a rotor is warped and pounding against the pads. Check the fluid level in the rear diff?

I wouldn't think struts, ball joints, or CV joints wouldn't be the problem. If they were loose, you might feel slop on handling, especially over bumps. If the struts were bad, get a free suspension inspect to check for leakage. The bounce test is usually worthless. If they are weak (like I think mine are), the ride gets harder due to less travel distance during compression. Hmm, maybe a wheel bearing is buzzing. When mine when bad, I would hear a swish noise for each wheel rotation that was louder in the winter months until the lube warmed up but it actually would be less noticable at higher speeds (drowned out by road noise and the lube getting warmed up).

Maybe what you are describing is a wheel that is out of balance since it would vibrate at higher frequency as you drove faster. Checked for any stones stuck in your tire threads (or worse a bolt)?

There is a driveshaft that comes out of the tranny. The driveshaft is made up of two half shafts, and go through a carrier bearing in the center of the car. I would check that carrier bearing, and the Universal joint. If it is the universal joint, post it here, and ill tell you waht to do next. What ever yo do dont call the dealer for a price quote on the part, as we cant pick you up off the floor when you faint :)

nipper

Maybe you need a brake inspection to check if a rotor is warped and pounding against the pads. Check the fluid level in the rear diff?

I wouldn't think struts, ball joints, or CV joints wouldn't be the problem. If they were loose, you might feel slop on handling, especially over bumps. If the struts were bad, get a free suspension inspect to check for leakage. The bounce test is usually worthless. If they are weak (like I think mine are), the ride gets harder due to less travel distance during compression. Hmm, maybe a wheel bearing is buzzing. When mine when bad, I would hear a swish noise for each wheel rotation that was louder in the winter months until the lube warmed up but it actually would be less noticable at higher speeds (drowned out by road noise and the lube getting warmed up).

Maybe what you are describing is a wheel that is out of balance since it would vibrate at higher frequency as you drove faster. Checked for any stones stuck in your tire threads (or worse a bolt)?

good post - if it is more a hum and not a felt vibration - possibly a wheel bearing?

good post - if it is more a hum and not a felt vibration - possibly a wheel bearing?

it is more of a felt vibration(with a hum). as i apply the brakes(lightly) i feel the vibration slightly as if the rotor has a high spot. it is more of a progressive vibration-higher frequency as speed goes up with a slight buzz as seen in the rear view mirror and when over 65 it becomes very "buzzy". my best plan, based on the excellent feedback would be: check tire balance, check rotors, check wheel bearings, and lastly the drive shaft. this is my best guess.

thanks

david

it is more of a felt vibration(with a hum). as i apply the brakes(lightly) i feel the vibration slightly as if the rotor has a high spot. it is more of a progressive vibration-higher frequency as speed goes up with a slight buzz as seen in the rear view mirror and when over 65 it becomes very "buzzy". my best plan, based on the excellent feedback would be: check tire balance, check rotors, check wheel bearings, and lastly the drive shaft. this is my best guess.

thanks

david

Should also be easy enough to swap tires with the front and see if the problem changes or travels with the tire. Is it worse with a sweeping turn one way versus the other? That may pin down a specific side of the car to concentrate on.