Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another head gasket bites the dust? MY2001 Legacy

I can't believe I am posting this, but I am in total disbelief. It was sold in mid 2001 as a 2001 Legacy L with a build date of 10/00 I believe. I have owned it since June and have put about 12K on it since and the current mileage is just a hare below 58K.

Last week, I got a notice from SOA that my car hadn't recieved the coolant additive band-aid treatment yet. Two days ago, I pull into the parking lot at work and there is coolant "smoke" coming from the drivers side of the hood/wheel with the smell that we all love and know. I checked the coolant and it was below the "Low" line. I filled it up to "Full" and I have been keeping a sharp eye on it. Yeah, I can still get a whiff of it here and there...especially in the wheel well and over the 2/4 cylinder head side of the engine. Other times, I can't smell it at all :confused: Is a failing HG possible even if I can't smell it all the time? No overheating...

I called the dealer today to inquire about the coolant additive letter and to ask why this problem wasn't taken care of (i.e. masked) when I bought the car...the tech cut right to the chase and said they made a mistake and simply forgot. I made mention of my very recent coolant issues, and he said it probably was not coincidence and that a failing HG was a very real possibility. I seriously admired his honesty (scare tactics?) :) Anyhow, Car goes in Friday for a looksie so we'll see...

Take care,

Kevin

Last week, I got a notice from SOA that my car hadn't recieved the coolant additive band-aid treatment yet. Two days ago, I pull into the parking lot at work and there is coolant "smoke" coming from the drivers side of the hood/wheel with the smell that we all love and know. I checked the coolant and it was below the "Low" line. I filled it up to "Full" and I have been keeping a sharp eye on it. Yeah, I can still get a whiff of it here and there...especially in the wheel well and over the 2/4 cylinder head side of the engine. Other times, I can't smell it at all :confused: Is a failing HG possible even if I can't smell it all the time? No overheating...

Phase II 2.5 the HG leak externally, so this is looks like the symptoms my father-in-laws 03 was having. It came a went, he never overheated but the external leak is a sign that the HG is failing.

Just be glad it is under warranty.

I took my skid plate off and there was coolant all over it. There is no trace of leaking at the radiator hoses or timing belt cover. It is coming from the engine somewhere (obviously) and spraying back on the exhaust which is why it is smoking(duh). I'm driving it over in a few minutes and I am kind of laughing...this is my second Subaru and BOTH of them have had coolant related problems at this mileage! Why do I love these cars...:)

Take care,

Kevin

I'm having multiple problems with my 97 Outback wagon. 3 weeks ago I changed the manual transmission gear oil with Valvoline Synpower synthetic gear oil. Same for rear differential. Drove car on 300 mile round trip and got 29 MPG. Best it's ever done.

Same week I installed new front struts. No more log wagon! Today I had the alignment checked and adjusted. Should be good to go.

Two days ago I noticed the speedometer was acting eratically. Swinging 10 MPH or more, at 3200 RPM I should be indicating 70 MPH. It was showing about a mean of 60, then today it only indicates up to about 40 MPH at highway speed. Cruise control "tries" to work in 4th gear at about 40, then disconnects. Doesn't work at all in 5th gear at highway speed. I'm still searching the archives about the speed sensor or the speedometer head possibly being the culprit.

Then this afternoon I opened the hood after shutting off the engine. Hear a "bubbling" sound. Feel upper radiator hose and I can feel the "bubbling". Before my eyes the upper hose begins to collapse as if under suction. I open the radiator cap and the vacuum is released and the upper hose returns to it's normal shape. Radiator very low, nothing in overflow tank. Put cap back on, again, the car isn't running, and the upper hose once again starts to collapse! Remove radiator cap and "swoosh" the vacuum is once again released and hose returns to being round instead of flat.

Fill radiator, add water in expansion tank to mark, crank up without the radiator cap on and get an instant "Old Faithful" response from the radiator, run engine a bit more and add water as it is running. Go for a drive, get back and check things out. Hose is once again collapsing, and the expansion tank is almost full to the top. With engine running I notice a couple of bubbles in the expansion tank every 5 seconds or so. Never, not once, has the temperature gauge deviated from just below half way in indication. I've owned Fiats, Volkswagens and Porsches and trust me, the temp gauge gets noticed every few seconds as habit.

Wet spot on top of engine passenger side just below the power steering pump. At 91k miles I think my 2.5 has the failing head gasket. But the speedometer thing has me baffled.

I feel sorry for everyone who comes to this board to unload another HG problem.

Does it make us feel better if I think, this isn't only a subaru issue......today, most or probably all makes build their engines blocks and heads on cast alluminum, and on a long run, it will hapen sonner or later

There are well over 850 topics here on the USMB that have the phrase "head gasket" in it in the New Gen forum alone.

I've been here at the USMB for a loooong time...ever since the HG problems started to pop up. If someone else wrote what my symptoms were, I would say "It's the HG dude". But now that I am that dude, I really am having a hard time with it, if that is even the problem....ya know?

Anyhow, she is safe and sound, anxiously awaiting diagnosis tomorrow AM.

Have a happy "give peace a chance day" (here in Woodstock). Take care,

Kevin

So I just called them...they cleaned it up, added the additive, and told me to bring it back in in a few thousand miles. Hmmm....

So they add the additive AFTER there is a known external leak. Anyone want to take a guess at the odds of it actually working? I'm thinking it won't and I really don't want it to...

So they add the additive AFTER there is a known external leak. Anyone want to take a guess at the odds of it actually working? I'm thinking it won't and I really don't want it to...

I'm not a betting man.:)

You probably know this, but if not...

As long as the additive is "on board", the HGs get an extended warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles (from time of original delivery). So if they fail tomorrow or not until right before the 8yr/100k limit, you're now covered as long as you replace the additive if/when the coolant gets changed. Seems you've got 42k miles or about 3.5 years, whichever comes first, to see if the magic elixer works.

--OB99W

So I just called them...they cleaned it up, added the additive, and told me to bring it back in in a few thousand miles. Hmmm....

It will work great, it is just stop leak so if it is already leaking it will just go to that leak and seal it up.