Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I am new to this forum and i am looking to buy an Impreza WRX. The sti is freaking awesome with its 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque but its a little much on the money side.

The basic reason for this post is, i wanted to know the difference in the two other than the 70 hp difference. Could i eventually turn my basic wrx into a sti monster?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello, I am new to this forum and i am looking to buy an Impreza WRX. The sti is freaking awesome with its 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque but its a little much on the money side.

The basic reason for this post is, i wanted to know the difference in the two other than the 70 hp difference. Could i eventually turn my basic wrx into a sti monster?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Some folks maintain you can, but likely it would end up costing more than the difference up front. The STI has a different center diff, different brakes, different suspension parts, 6 speed tranny, IC spray, is noisier, lighter (IIRC), underbody aero stuff as well as the roof deflector and 'whale tail'. check; http://www.cars101.com . Of course, it's the kind of thing you can do - literally and figuratively - in 'stages'. Many companies (Cobb is a good example) put together tuner/mod 'kits' they often refer to as stage 1, stage 2,etc. Eventually getting into ECU reflashing/piggyback electronics and larger turbos, IC water spray, etc. I think some folks on thise forum have experience with that (I do not) but a LOT of that info is readily found at www.nasioc.com . I'd recommend reading the FAQs in various forums there before asking potentially 'noob' type questions - it will minimize (not eliminate) smart-alec replies.

I love my '06 WRX wagon. I think I made a good choice for a daily driver.

Even though its more money up front, the STI is the likely the closest thing to a store-bought race car until you begin to spend $55-$60K.

the better transmission aside, you can get the power of the STi from a WRX fairly easily, in about 3 steps

1. Up pipe

2. Down pipe

3. ECU reflash

the intercooler should be fine, the intake is already more than adequate, the only parts i'm not sure on is the turbo and the injectors.

BTW, this is only for the 2006, with the 2.5 block, the 2.0 block will take some more work.

the better transmission aside, you can get the power of the STi from a WRX fairly easily, in about 3 steps

1. Up pipe

2. Down pipe

3. ECU reflash

the intercooler should be fine, the intake is already more than adequate, the only parts i'm not sure on is the turbo and the injectors.

BTW, this is only for the 2006, with the 2.5 block, the 2.0 block will take some more work.

I think you're right, but there are other differences besides the power. Of course, that may be good enough for the 1/8 or 1/4 mile track (I'm SURE the OP isn't interested in street racing!) if that's his goal. Plus, might wanna go ahead and follow the down pipe with 3" exhaust all the way out the back. Under 3" likely too restrictive for 300+ HP. At least from what I've read. Additional issues might be CEL 'fixes', but those can done.

Having owned an RS, WRX and STI I can tell you they aren't even the same car. Getting the same HP from the WRX engine is possible but to be done right needs more than just exhaust and a reflash (although 270~280 is solid). Put the same money into the STI and your worlds ahead. But that is just the beginning. The ability to deliver controlled power to the ground reliably is at another level with the STI. First the tranny and clutch are very proven for performance and even abusive driving at 50% or more above stock output. The WRX tranny is simply not that rhobust. The limited slip diffs front and rear coupled with the VLSD allow the power to be delivered in a way that the 5MT and rear LSD in the WRX could never do. The rest of the STI driveline is well up to the task of handleing that sort of power and use of that power on a daily basis. By the time you take a WRX and upgrade it STI equality, brakes, suspension, 6MT etc. and not just a ragged edge engine hop up you will have spent far more than just buying one.