Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RS Leg. LSD Diff - Clutch or Viscous?

clutch is usually the one people want more, so i would say its better. As for telling which it is, or if you even have one, jack the rear of the car off the ground and spin a wheel. If the other wheel spins the same direction, you have a lsd. i dont know how to tell what kind of lsd it is, but im pretty sure that all the legacy models came wth the vlsd type......

Unfortunately we in the USA never got the RS Legacy (Liberty over there), so there is limited knowledge here. We did get a Turbo Legacy, and in the first year only it came with a VLSD, but it also have a metcal on it that told you that. So if your's doesn't have a metcal on it, and it is a limited slip, I would say it is a clutch type.

Interesting, I hadn’t seen the layout of the rear VLSD, I was surprised to see the asymmetric mechanical layout, but after reasoning through it, it provides equal torque control without using two sections like a typical clutch type. And this set up requires that the VLSD is a 2-way unit, which explains the great balance I feel under deceleration in my T-Leg.

The more I learn about the Subaru AWD system, the more I see why it’s superior, it’s incredibly well engineered.

Gary

Unfortunately we in the USA never got the RS Legacy (Liberty over there), so there is limited knowledge here. We did get a Turbo Legacy, and in the first year only it came with a VLSD, but it also have a metcal on it that told you that. So if your's doesn't have a metcal on it, and it is a limited slip, I would say it is a clutch type.

There's a cool article about one in AU in the December Subiesport mag.

There's a cool article about one in AU in the December Subiesport mag.
Somehow, they forgot to send me the December issue, I called then yesterday that they are sending me a copy. The February issue has been sent to the distribution center, we should be getting it the first week in January.

Interesting, I hadn’t seen the layout of the rear VLSD, I was surprised to see the asymmetric mechanical layout, but after reasoning through it, it provides equal torque control without using two sections like a typical clutch type. And this set up requires that the VLSD is a 2-way unit, which explains the great balance I feel under deceleration in my T-Leg.

The more I learn about the Subaru AWD system, the more I see why it’s superior, it’s incredibly well engineered.

Gary

A viscous unit is like a clutch unit but it uses a viscous fluid between the plates, the units are sealed so the fluid doesn't mix with the differential oil.

Righto... I have an Clutch Pack LSD here waiting/ready to go in my car until I recently came up an VLSD from RS Liberty and made me think which should I go for - Clutch or Viscous LSD?

Reaso I want it is for better handling in wet, mud, gravel roads plus towing off muddy areas/very wet grass.

Does anyone have better picture of VLSD so that I can be 100% sure its VLSD or Clutch Pack LSD?

Thankyou guys.

AP

Sorry another Question - drive shafts subject! Since get Diff is out of the car and I haven't seen the car myself which is another reason I am asking questions about it.... Do you know if they do take normal "Male to Male" shafts same as early to 1995 Legacy? or I require adaptor shafts?

Thanks guys

AP