Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exaust smell inside my 98 Legacy 2.5 GT??

I have a real bad exaust smell inside the car coming throught the vents. I took it to the dealer and they said i have no exaust leaks and don't know where it is coming from, but the smell is slowly giving me brain damage and i was wondering if anyone had the same problem??????

hehe no thats antifreeze that can give you brain damage :)

Your car is ripe for oil leaks. i bet you have either a P/S leak, of cam seals/main/oil pump leak. Valve covers i dont think leak onthe exhaust pipes the way the pipes are laid out.

It only takes a tiny bit of oil to make a lot of smell

nipper

I second checking the front and rear main seals for oil leakage they are notorius failures of your generation motor. If it is those you should see smoke coming from the engine bay after driving. I hate to be the one to say it but I have a horendous smell inside my 98 OBW and it is due to the head gaskets being shot. It doesn't smell like pure exhaust inside the car but it is the smel of something burning and it comes throught the vents.

i have a minor leak, and not sure what it is. Its either engine oil or antifreeze leak (I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT). It sometimes can be seen when the car is shut off with a puff of smoke. Oddly if i run the car long enough to burn it off the pipes, i dont have the problem again until the car is parked fro a while. Beofre i bought the car, the PS pump was replaced, and took a good month to burn that stuff all off. The engine had been resealed the year before, so im not sure what it is, it will have to wait till spring.

In the meantime, recirculate is your freind, unless you use the defroster. heeh dont breath in the car in winter and youll be fine.

nipper