Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 - turbo + spfi?

ok, I found the guide for converting carb to spfi on my ea81, but I'm curious if theres any easy bolt on turbo mods that dont take too much work? what parts would I need to find and could I get them from a JY for not too much money? whats the best thing to do to this engine to get more from it?

thanks..

carbed 1981 ea81 wagon GL 4x4 manual 4spd d/r... um... brown?

yes, I'm more interested in the turbo than I am spfi... right now I need to get my car running a little bit better but I am definately interested in what you have to know about a turbo carbed ea81, as I will probably do this before I do any other modification to my soob.

trevor

You might be surprized how strong it would run with a carburetor in a turbo blow-through configuration. It's cheap and fairly easy. There are some very basic mods that work well. I have more info if interested.

The SPFI can get a little picky with a turbo blowing through it.

I would also like to hear what you know about making one of these. If you have the time, feel free to enlighten us!

i had posted this on another thread let me know what ya think or if ya know of anyone eles that has done it!!!!!! thanks ben

I sure like to know how ya got that kind of power!!!! Sure could use it on my gyrocopter!!!! I’m looking for 120-130 hp I just pick up 2 tubro and 2 carbed ea81s and a extra set of tubro heads to play with on a rebuilds.

This is what I plan on doing

1)turbos heads 9.5 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold.

2) tubro heads 9.5 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold and a tubro

3) tubbro heads 8.0 cr pistons, multi-point fuel injection tuned exhaust and a wasted spark 4 coils and a custom manifold and twin turbos

4) think we can make hp with one of these set ups ????????

ps I wanted to try this on the twin carbed ea81 but couldn’t find one if ya got one please let me know!!!!!

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=3220&stc=1&thumb=1

do a search for mpfi and ea81s... most posts will tell you to do an engine swap, there is a very good write up telling how to go about spfi conversions, and also from what boosted said, turbo through spfi is kinda touchy.. so from that information I'm thinking, best thing for you is turbo through carb like what we are trying to get information on, OR an engine swap, I dont think mpfi w/ the ea81 is possible or recomended.

twin turbo twin carb ea81 is an idea... maybe w/ spfi but I think I'm gonna stick to carbueration right now... think its possible, dont know if it'd be worth it or all that safe for the engine... but I dont want to deal with having to build a custom intake manifold if I can avoid it.

also would port and polish and stroking the ea81 be worth it?

the problem with carburated turbo is backfiring fuel pressure etc

but other than that it would be pretty cool toi see and i for one want to hear what kind of power you could make

back firing fuel pressure? do you mean back firing, and fuel pressure? how would they be a problem... anyways where the carbed turbo blow through that was gonna be explained..? I'm restless and want to put some rubber on the ground :headbang:

SCRAP, you live in Portland, I'm not too far from you!

I can help you out with the carb setup. I have an autolite carb that is fresh for a turbo setup. It came from a ford 460 so we would have to jet it way down but it will work. I haven't really messed with the subaru carbs, I'm guessing there is a ton of vacuum and sensors and junk all over it??? I'm also assuming that you don't plan on smogging this thing???

There's two ways to do this, it all depends on smog testing or not. You can restrict some air passages in the carb to make it work with boost or you can leave it stock and add cold-start injectors downstream of the carb to actuate in 3-4 psi increments, the first one to come on at 1-2psi. It's not a perfect fuel metering device but you will be amazed how smooth it will pull. This summer- I took a tired 1600 VW engine and did this to it. I locked the timing at 24degrees, built a plenum box above the carb, welded a turbo flange to the header, fabricated down pipe with supertrap, added 2 injectors below the carb and installed a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and an electronic fuel pump. I have a video of this thing in action. The car wouldn't even do a burnout before but after the turbo install we could burn some serious rubber with the boost at 6-7 psi and the engine felt much larger. I can post the vid if anyone is interested. It's not subaru related but the same concepts apply.

As far a gyrocopter (I wish I had one of them things). I would go with a draw-through setup. The drawthrough is way easier to setup and tune, you just don't get to use an intercooler with them. I think the air up there is plenty cool that it shouldn't be that big of an issue though. I would keep the CR as low as possible, 8:1 is very good. You could get away with a smaller battery with the lower compression also and that's a factor for aircraft.

sweet... I'll send you a pm...

anyways I dont have to worry about smog, vehicle is registered up in washington on our farm 14 miles out of white salmon. I'm not to knowledgable about vacuum systems other than a few basic things, and I have a lot to learn about everything else but I'm deadly with a wrench and motivation.

anyways I had my carb off my intake yesterday cleaning what i could get at without taking it apart... there are the fuel lines, and I think probably around 6 or so(?) vacuum lines and a couple electrical connections... not quite sure and its kinda late to go out and count em.

:grin:

edit: theres also a whole mess of vacuum lines that go to the air box... most of em I dont even know what they're for cause there cant be much of a vacuum in there.

i ment backfireing is going to be a problem because if you mount the carb before the turbo the turbo is going to detonate when it warms up and if you mount it after it may cause problems because carbs are ment to suck not be blown into

either way if it works i want pics also i'd like to see a vid of a carbie turbo

i ment backfireing is going to be a problem because if you mount the carb before the turbo the turbo is going to detonate when it warms up...

The air charge does not get hot enough to "detonate"... virtually all early turbos were carb'd draw-throughs. The problem is that if the engine "backfires" through the intake system you have that much more fuel/air to burn. Also, the turbo is very likely to get damaged, as in overpressuring the seals or stalling the compressor.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking along this line, but with a throttle body, one injector on each runner, and a Megasquirt controller. My question is, what size turbo would work best? I am looking for a lower rpm jump in power, I plan on wheeling the pee out of this thing, and I want reliability. IIRC, the stock c/r is around 8.5:1,how much pressure can I safely put on top of this and keep it on pump gas? Are there option to get it to around 8.0:1 to run more boost?

so there is no kits or other models that you can take a turbo off of and bolt it on a ea81? i would love to have a turbo on my ea81 if it was cheap and somewhat easy.

cheap is possible, easy, depends on your perception of easy... its not hard at all to fab stuff up for a subie, but theres not much out there that just bolts right up.

Fabrication is no big deal, I am at the very least for the time being getting rid of the cracked factory y-pipe and cat, possibly going to a straight 2" system with a d-max muffler for a little better flow.

Has anybody done any research on what size turbo works best for these? I have a turbo I believe is a T025 from a dodge 600 turbo, IIRC it's a .42 a/r.