Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Lift jack, friend or foe

kingbobdole

Uh....Ok.... why do I get the feeling I'm not the only one that is going to pass on making commments on this one.... hehehe.....:drunk:

You make valid points...however, the jacking by the diff comment was in response to my comment on using a floor jack....we know what a hi-lift jack is...thank you ;)

if you are going offroad, a hi lift is the 1st thing you should throw in your rig (besides a tow strap or two.) i keep my hi lift in my truck at all times along wiht all of my hand tools

Dude. You're in denial. You drive a bronco. This thread has to do with what to bring with your S U B A R U. But while you're here. Have you ever had to use you highlift with your bronco?

And thank you Chux. It would be pretty absurd to assume I was talking about putting a highlift under your diff.

Originally Posted by scrap487

floor jack lighter than a highlift? YEAH RIGHT... a high lift weighs maybe 30-40lbs... my floor jack weighs about 100

Floor jack, big ones weigh 80 lbs, I've read the package on mine. I am talking aobut a small one, wrapped in a tarp it fits behind my seat. 20lbs tops. Read the whole post before you start spouting off you bran spankin newbie.

IWhen I get my bumpers and rollbar, I'll figure out how to mount it to that..

they do sell the mounting kits for them.some like $15 bucks......or you can make your own

I used mine at wcss7 to swap my street tires with the swampers and it worked pretty well.

not only are they great for lifting but if your in a bind,you could also use em for pulling.

Dude. You're in denial. You drive a bronco. This thread has to do with what to bring with your S U B A R U. But while you're here. Have you ever had to use you highlift with your bronco?

And thank you Chux. It would be pretty absurd to assume I was talking about putting a highlift under your diff.

Floor jack, big ones weigh 80 lbs, I've read the package on mine. I am talking aobut a small one, wrapped in a tarp it fits behind my seat. 20lbs tops. Read the whole post before you start spouting off you bran spankin newbie.

broncoII, b#%$#!~!! :lol:

I have to use my hi lift all the time.. when i wheel, to winch myself out and to jack up and push out of ruts (*explained by someone else earlier), to fix my truck when i am working on it.. had to take a tire off the bead with the hi lift too. etc.. my hi lift is bent to hell from abuse. my floor jack has been broken for years, so its prety much my only jack besides the pathetic little one that came wiht my imp. if my imp had good enough bumpers i would carry a hi lift in it. im working on that though...

if i had an older s u b a r u i would carry a hi lift in it regardless and a 2x4 for a block to protect the bumpers. ..

oh yeah .. always remember to throw your car in 4wd BEFORE you jack up the rear .... :drunk:

I knew not to try and lift the diff with the high lift... DUH... We were talking floor jacks., but Blue great write up, thank you. I do have the HF jack, and I would hope it would work well for the subaru... I really only plan to use it for emergancy/wheeling situations.... (aka, stuck or changing a tire on the side of the road) I have a floor jack that is MUCH lighter then the high lift, but it was that pricey Sears aluminum one and I'd rather have the high then the pricey one with wood that really is rather scarry in its self.... Of those that have mounted these jack on the outside of the car... is there any like rubber boot I can buy to protect the components from the weather? I still would like to mount it somewhere to free up room... ATM I have it in the trunk with my full size spare and bag off tools, and the spare to my 6 (real useful in there BTW:rolleyes:), come along, chain, timing belts, and tow rope, and I'm running out of room to carry 3 guys to a junk yard and get parts... I'm gonna rig a Bronco II:grin: rear door tire carrier to my wag to get the spare outside, but I'd also like the jack out of the way. Any thoughts on protectins it from weather?

MorganM used to carry his on his Thule roof rack....just wrapped a bungy cord around it and the crossbar...worked great. I don't think he kept it on there all the time though, just for trail rides.

here's a pic of us at camp for the Crawl 4 the cure....look on the roof of his rig: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/709/513camp_01-med.jpg

do you have a hi lift in your wheeling rig? :rolleyes:

I do not. But I've been thinking about it. For the meantime, I've got my trusty little floor jack and several pieces of 2X6 and 4X4.

So when are you gonna come out with us wheeling, btw? Walker Valley in January?

***note to self: Bonco II ;) I learned to drive a clutch in one of the first ones in the early 80s.

I do not. But I've been thinking about it. For the meantime, I've got my trusty little floor jack and several pieces of 2X6 and 4X4.

So when are you gonna come out with us wheeling, btw? Walker Valley in January?

***note to self: Bonco II ;) I learned to drive a clutch in one of the first ones in the early 80s.

we had a bronco II in the early '80's ... that thing SUCKED :-\

For those that do carry a Hi Lift, I'd recommend also carrying a scissor or floor jack as well. When I ripped the captive nuts out of the unibody and needed to reconnect the torsion bar to the body, I sure was glad I still had the scissor jack on board. A couple feet of chain, some long hose clamps, and ratchet straps also came in handy but that's gettin off topic.

im going wheelin this weekend probably.. id like to see your subaru wheel. i dont wheel my subaru, it smy pavement queen, but ill go with you guys in my b2.

i will eat your cars muahahhahahha :grin:

*edited out the non-soob pic. This is a Sooby thread.* :)

LOL sorry i just had to post that :drunk:

but anyway, they do make hi lift bags, you cna get them at most 4x4 shops. i just keep my hi lift inside my truck, jammed in with all my gear and tools