Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings,

I came to this site looking for answers to a resent overheating problem I was having with my 98 Subaru. I was thinking that I may need a new thermostat, hoses, and radiator flush. But, after reading some of the logs, I thought the worst-case may be a head gasket...The car runs great, except for this overheating problem. On the 25 mile trip to work, I noticed the temp gauge rise (not to the red) and then fall back to normal. At about 20 miles, the engine overheated, at which point I pulled over to allow the engine to cool (engine off-cooling fans running). After 5 min., I could continue on to work with engine temp normal. Same senario for the return trip home. I scheduled an appointment with the local Subaru dealer, hoping for the least costly solution but expecting the worst-case...at least thats what I thought. The diagnosis was a cracked piston sleeve...that I need a new short block with the trimmings. Any suggestions on options, other than spending what the car was worth on repairs? Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

did they pull both heads to find this out?

To my knowledge, they did not.

They informed me that there were no external leaks and that the radiator would also need replacing because of oil. The inside of the radiator overflow container does have a slim coating of oil. The oil on the dip stick does not appear to show water/coolant in the oil but I will have to drain to inspect.

To my knowledge, they did not.

They informed me that there were no external leaks and that the radiator would also need replacing because of oil. The inside of the radiator overflow container does have a coating of oil. The oil on the dip stick does not appear to show water/coolant in the oil but I will have to drain to inspect.

Drain and inspect. Also note if there is any smoke in the exaust and what color it is. Also please describe "a coating of oil" a bit more please. is this a light coating, or a heavy one, and what does the oil look like?

Greetings,

I came to this site looking for answers to a resent overheating problem I was having with my 98 Subaru. I was thinking that I may need a new thermostat, hoses, and radiator flush. But, after reading some of the logs, I thought the worst-case may be a head gasket...The car runs great, except for this overheating problem. On the 25 mile trip to work, I noticed the temp gauge rise (not to the red) and then fall back to normal. At about 20 miles, the engine overheated, at which point I pulled over to allow the engine to cool (engine off-cooling fans running). After 5 min., I could continue on to work with engine temp normal. Same senario for the return trip home. I scheduled an appointment with the local Subaru dealer, hoping for the least costly solution but expecting the worst-case...at least thats what I thought. The diagnosis was a cracked piston sleeve...that I need a new short block with the trimmings. Any suggestions on options, other than spending what the car was worth on repairs? Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

SO they determined this with no tests. RUN

First off remove the raditor cap, then start the car, then look for bubbles in the raditor. If there are bubbles, its a headgaskets, if none then

next replace the raidtor cap and see what happens , if it still does it then have the raditor checked for the presence of exhuast gasses.

Is your crankase oil balck or milky brown. If it is milk brown, then yes you have a cracked bloxk someplace, if no its a head gasket.

WHat color is your exhaust. Is it a thick thick white the hangs out like a fog, then its a cracked cylinder, if not, then a head gasket.

As far as the raidator being clogged with oil, what a bunch of BS. This can be profesionally cleaned by a raditor shop, or by running a commercial degreaser (like a dish washnig detergent) through the entire cooling system, then flushing it with waster. (its on the old sooby boards).

What color is your antifreeze?

nipper

they're full of (insert bad word here). they definitly didn't pull the heads to check.

this usually points to headgaskets, but anyway, replace the thermostat and radiator cap and follow what these dudes mentioned for testing/checking. i wouldn't necessarily rely on the "oily" residue in the overflow tank, those things aren't a very good indicator of much of anything unless you see bubbles coming out of them (headgasket).

head gasket jobs run $1,200 at the dealer and can be done cheaper. the new headgaskets solve the phase I 2.5 liter head gasket issues.

don't run this thing hot! it'll run much longer the less you overheat this thing.

I have a 98 OBW with bad head gaskets. It was doing just what you described. I could drive for about 100 miles on the highway it would push the coolant out to the overflow and not pull it back to the engine. If I stopped let it cool and top off the radiator it would be good for another 100 miles. Check what the others said and watch your over flow tank, if it keeps filling up and draining the radiator sounds like the dreaded HG problem. This generation motor has an internal leak that won't drip outside the engine so can be tricky to diagnose, I tried all the cheap fixes (thermostat, fans running, etc.) but now the engine block is sitting on a table, the heads getting checked for cracks and I'm waiting for a bunch of parts.

exact same thing happened to me i bought the car then, about 3 weeks after owning it (driving from charleston s.c. to charlotte n.c. about 230 miles and several overheat breaks) i finally had time to get it checked out. it turned out to be a cracked cylinder. so i inquired about repairs and they gave me some bogus amount... so i bought a complete second engine and changed for a new gasket on it before i replaced it in my 98 gt... (along with waterpump and oil pump and thermostat) now engine runs fine no problems whatsoever and this fix cost about 1000 all said and done, doing my own labor. car now has 200k miles and an engine with half that. body looks like it has about 20-30k and same with interior. all said and done happier i did it myself and saved about $500 (to pay for at the time 2.50/gal gas and that was for regular!!!!)

Thanks for all the info...

FYI, there were two tests performed: compression test (which failed one cylinder) and a pressurized cooling system test (no external leaks). I will perform tests and inspections as suggested from the responses and look into a replacement motor...otherwise, you may see some of this car on ebay.

Thanks.