Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater Problem

If i turn on the heat in my GL, it just comes out the vents. If I switch it to defrost, it doesn't do anything, it just comes out the vents. When it is on it smells like a mouse house, I think there is one and it is keeping things from working properly.

How does the heater controls work? Apparently a door is moved with an electric motor, yes?

How can I access the heater box to get the mouse house out of it?

On the 85-up GL, the door is vacuum actuated. The pushbuttons on the dash are vacuum switches. If you've got mr mickey in there, you're going to have to pull apart the heater housing under the dash to get him evicted.

Hmm, I was afraid of that. I really don't have the time. Maybe I'll figure something out.

You can also check the vacuum lines under the hood that go to the heater controls. There should be a vacuum line going from the intake manifold to the vacuum canister on the passenger side-rear of the engine compartment. If that line is disconnected, or doesn't have vacuum to it, the vents will not move from the bi-lev position.

You can also check the vacuum lines under the hood that go to the heater controls. There should be a vacuum line going from the intake manifold to the vacuum canister on the passenger side-rear of the engine compartment. If that line is disconnected, or doesn't have vacuum to it, the vents will not move from the bi-lev position.
Allso when you hit the button you should hear kinda the sound of air moving. Like a swoosh sound. If you dont hear that then most likely its vacuum problem. If you do hear that clean out the mouse, The nest could be holding the controls from moving.

Allso when you hit the button you should hear kinda the sound of air moving. Like a swoosh sound. If you dont hear that then most likely its vacuum problem. If you do hear that clean out the mouse, The nest could be holding the controls from moving.

Another reason to go after Mr Mickey .. ..

They like to chew things. Thye like to have mates, and well, make more Mickeys. Also when they die, they make a big stink.

Best to make the time to get him out of there, before the car doesnt run anymore.

nipper