Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 Legacy AWD Not Working

Hello all, I just picked up a 95 Legacy, automatic, AWD. (this is my first subaru) The car has 200K on it and is running strong and has a decent body. The car has been well cared for but the AWD stopped working all together and the car is running in front wheel drive only, hence the reason I got the car for FREE. I have been reading all kinds of different reasons why the AWD might not work, but where would be the best place to start checking?

Is this car worth fixing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello all, I just picked up a 95 Legacy, automatic, AWD. (this is my first subaru) The car has 200K on it and is running strong and has a decent body. The car has been well cared for but the AWD stopped working all together and the car is running in front wheel drive only, hence the reason I got the car for FREE. I have been reading all kinds of different reasons why the AWD might not work, but where would be the best place to start checking?

Is this car worth fixing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

do you have a "fwd" light on your instrument panel when the car is runnig? if so you need to remove the fwd fuse under the hood passenger side near the firewall. this fuse makes the car drive front wheels only.

if no light, then...... i don't know.... bad tcu?

some one smarter then me needs to tel you.

do you have a "fwd" light on your instrument panel when the car is runnig? if so you need to remove the fwd fuse under the hood passenger side near the firewall. this fuse makes the car drive front wheels only.

if no light, then...... i don't know.... bad tcu?

some one smarter then me needs to tel you.

The FWD light is not on and there is no fuse inserted into the FWD plug under the hood.

The tranny runs great and shifts smooth, just no AWD

Read this, it may seem like it doesnt apply, but the last page or so gets insot how the AWD physically works

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48865

What condition is the tranny fluid in? in an odd long shot, stick your head under the car and make sure the dirveshaft from the midle of the car to tha back of the car is still there.

Sounds like th AWD duty c solenoid is possibly stuck open. Throw a fuse in the fuse holder just for giggles then take it out, just in case the solenoid is pyhsically stuck.

i dont know how much money you want to toss in this puppy, but i would do a tranny flush if the fluid is not burnt.

nipper

Read this, it may seem like it doesnt apply, but the last page or so gets insot how the AWD physically works

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48865

What condition is the tranny fluid in? in an odd long shot, stick your head under the car and make sure the dirveshaft from the midle of the car to tha back of the car is still there.

Sounds like th AWD duty c solenoid is possibly stuck open. Throw a fuse in the fuse holder just for giggles then take it out, just in case the solenoid is pyhsically stuck.

i dont know how much money you want to toss in this puppy, but i would do a tranny flush if the fluid is not burnt.

nipper

The driveshaft is still there, I actually put a fuse in the FWD box to drive the car home just to make sure I did'nt screw anything up. I'll try taking it out today and I'll also check the tranny fluid.

The driveshaft is still there, I actually put a fuse in the FWD box to drive the car home just to make sure I did'nt screw anything up. I'll try taking it out today and I'll also check the tranny fluid.

you do realize the awd is a 90/10 power split front/rear until the computer detects the need for more power to the rear (front wheel slipping)?

so the awd is very subtle until you need it.

try finding some snow, ice or wet grass (maybe gravel) with "lots of room" and punching it in first gear. you should be able to see / feel all 4 tires grab.

john

Um....cus I got stuck in the snow on my flat driveway! Only the front wheels would spin, the rears would'nt do anything.

90/10 split...90% of the power goes to the front in automatics. Put the car on jack stands and put it in drive and see if the rear wheels spin.

Our MY95 has pretty tight AWD, you should know when the AWD kicks in. I can drive on a flat surface and tell the AWD is working because I can, in fact , get it to break all 4 wheels loose on snow without much trouble. A test would be to insert a fuse so that your sure it's in FWD and see if it's any worse.

Our MY95 has pretty tight AWD, you should know when the AWD kicks in. I can drive on a flat surface and tell the AWD is working because I can, in fact , get it to break all 4 wheels loose on snow without much trouble. A test would be to insert a fuse so that your sure it's in FWD and see if it's any worse.

Are you sure all four wheels will spin? On my mothers 95 Legacy and on my 96 Outback (both manuals) i've never had more than like one back and one front wheel spin at the same time.

Well "all four" might be a little strong, I'm not churning all wheels like a 4x4. But I can get it into a powerslide in an open area. Climbing up a small incline the rear end will slide out to the side if I jump on it, so I know there is power to the rear while the front is spining too. And there is a BIG difference if I put a fuse in to run it in FWD only, the front will spin and slide side-to-side while the back end just follows where ever it's lead to by the front without sliding on it's own.

BTW, the MY95 AWD seem to kick in fast than our MY01 Outback. I guess this is due to design changes :confused:, the mother-in-laws MY98 seems to be closer to the MY95 than the MY01 setup.