Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Chains in Freezing Rain

thats the ONE time i would stay home. In packed snow the snow tends to cushion thechains, and keeps them from self destructing. i think the only thing that really works with any durability in ice is studded snow tires. i could be wrong.

Freezing rain/ice storm is the ony weather conditions i choose to stay home, anything else bring it on. Just beacuse you have 100% traction on ice doesnt mean they 30 cars about to hit do...

nipper

if you have only chains then yeah but if you have studded snow tires they are better. if you drive causous and pay attention to your stopping and starting then you would be ok in just 4wd mode. i've owned my suby for12 years and never had studded snow tires or chains on it, i owned the chains but they never left the box or the compartment in the back. the only time i had studs on it was when i went offroading with some guys up in the mountains outside of ectacada a year ago on some logging roads. so its up to you chains in freezing rain will give you some traction but it will be a lumpy ride and you don't want to go fast. but you can't predict whats happening in front or behind you, there are fools out there and around you that can't drive.

Chains in Freezing Rain

Is my 91 Loyale going to need chains in freezing rain?

We used to travel daily on a 4X4 road to get to our home. Every year a spring in this road would freeze and make an ice flow that was almost impossible to cross due to the steep grade. Initially I tried studded snow tires on all four but they wouldn't get you across w/o a lot of excitement. Then I tried chains on just the front. I found I could crawl slowly across the ice flow w/o getting a running start. Chains are far superior unless you plan on traveling a long distance.

if he is just commuting in portland on city streets then studded tires is all he will need, the grades around here aren't that steep unless he has to travel over the west hills but even at that if he picks his route right it won't matter. my 86 wagon before lift with all season tires worked great around here in the ice in 4wd no problem, you just can't be stupid and get cocky.

We used to travel daily on a 4X4 road to get to our home. Every year a spring in this road would freeze and make an ice flow that was almost impossible to cross due to the steep grade. Initially I tried studded snow tires on all four but they wouldn't get you across w/o a lot of excitement. Then I tried chains on just the front. I found I could crawl slowly across the ice flow w/o getting a running start. Chains are far superior unless you plan on traveling a long distance.

If you have em... use em.

I drove home today from Mall 205 to 50th and Powell... took like 25-30 minutes because the hills were super dangerous (even though little) Running around on this packed down junk when it ices up with normal all season tires is not too fun. Taking off and spinning all 4 tires is though :brow:

I suggest studded tires, studless winter tires (blizzaks or something) or chains. Just keep an eye on the rearview mirror to make sure some soccer mom in an SUV doesnt rear end you at a red light.

I hear you. i drove around earlier today and yes you do need to watch out, me on the other hand had no problem driving around. if you need to go out and drive be careful. subarus are great car to drive around in this stuff with.

If you have em... use em.

I drove home today from Mall 205 to 50th and Powell... took like 25-30 minutes because the hills were super dangerous (even though little) Running around on this packed down junk when it ices up with normal all season tires is not too fun. Taking off and spinning all 4 tires is though :brow:

I suggest studded tires, studless winter tires (blizzaks or something) or chains. Just keep an eye on the rearview mirror to make sure some soccer mom in an SUV doesnt rear end you at a red light.

if he is just commuting in portland on city streets then studded tires is all he will need, the grades around here aren't that steep unless he has to travel over the west hills but even at that if he picks his route right it won't matter. my 86 wagon before lift with all season tires worked great around here in the ice in 4wd no problem, you just can't be stupid and get cocky.

I wasn't advocating the use of tire chains in this particular application. All I was doing is comparing the traction difference between studs on all four wheels and chains on two.