Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive belt, A/C Belt replacement

Hey guys,

I'm currently in my garage doing this so if you see this thread, please help if you can.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the belts over the pullies. Is there an easy way to do this?

I was driving around today and my main drive belt snapped. Lost all power steering, water pump, etc. My A/C belt snapped a month or so ago.

This is for a 1986 RX-Turbo. EA82 engine.

Thanks in advance.

Did you loosen the idler/tensioner? Sometimes it will look like its a fixed position idler but its really not. If that doesnt help and theres an alternator involved make sure you have loosened the pivot bolt and the adjuster and that you have moved it all the way loose before trying to install the belt.

Did you loosen the idler/tensioner? Sometimes it will look like its a fixed position idler but its really not. If that doesnt help and theres an alternator involved make sure you have loosened the pivot bolt and the adjuster and that you have moved it all the way loose before trying to install the belt.

Ok, so you do have to loosen some of the bolts holding the pullies. Will try that.

for the inner belt, I've found it helps to swing the tensioner pulley into the fully retracted position and snug it down so it's not flopping around, then it's easier to get the belt around it.

(and then buy another set of belts and put them in the back cubby hole. Sucks breaking a belt in the middle of nowhere)

I see your car has AC.... most likely it has the inboard AC compressor and outboard alternator. My instructions are based upon that.

There are 2 belts, only 1 of them goes around the alternator. The one that DOESNT go around the alternator is tensioned by the little idler pully down by the water pump. Its kind of a pain when the alternator is there to tighten it up right... but it is possible.

The other belt is tensioned by swinging the alternator up and down. I usually stick a 14mm open ended wrench on the back side of the long bolt going through the alternator, tighten up the belt, then tighten down the bolts.

Genuine belts normally fit perfect. Non-genuine belts sometimes seem to be too small.. you may need to go up a size (say if its a 990 MM get a 995... these are numbers I just made up, but you get the idea)

• 6 years later...

Hello Subaru enthusiasts

I fell into an 89 Loyale with an EA82, and, inspired by all the talk in this forum, went ahead and replaced timing belts, seals, water pump and the whole nine yards and that all went real well. My problem is with the drive belts now. When I got the car they were put on incorrect and there are no numbers or letters on the one that wasn't broken. The car has power steering, an outboard AC that says 'Diesel Kiki" on it. The only pulleys I see are the crankshaft, power steering, water pump, alternator (all of which have double pulleys) and the A/C compressor, which has a single pulley that seems to line up with the outer pulleys.

There is no idler pulley that I see, and the only tensioners involve sliding the alternator in it's bracket, and the A/C compressor in it's bracket. My Sub dealer can't seem to help, and Napa insists that I need either a duralast 1760 (too small to get on) or a Napa 5734 (also too small to get on, at least on the crank/power steering/water pump and alternator---those four pulleys are so close together that it's hard to imagine any belt not going on all of them. Napa also thinks I need a 17390 for the A/C compressor, but it's not nearly long enough to do all five pulleys. Does ANYONE know what two belts I need? Some that won't require tire irons to stretch on? I know they had at least a couple configurations for belts on the loyales with A/c and PS.....