Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 - EA82 What's the difference...????

ea 81 is a overhead valve single cam pushrod 1800cc simple motor and the ea 82 is a overhead twin cam 1800 cc motor the ea 82 is a little more complex and has differant intake set ups and generally has a little more power than the ea 81 but the ea 81 is a die hard almost bullet proof engine. this is in the simplest way to explain others on the board will give you much more detailed info I am sure.

Tim

Hi, just to clarify what is written above. The ea82 is referred to as single overhead cam. It does have twin cams, one each sitting above the heads on the side... but there is only one camshaft operating the 2 valves per cylinder. Subaru calls this SOHC... as it is equivalent to a sohc on an inline 4.

what # is stamped on your motor?is it ea81 or ea82? xt6 would have an er27 6 cylinder, but you could get a regular xt with an ea82. ea81`s came in 80-84 wagons and coupes and 81-87 brats and hatches.85-94 wagons have ea82

ea82's have timing belts while ea81's have timing gears.

what # is stamped on your motor?...

An engine-type ID is cast into each motor (at least the horizontally opposed ones) on the top front surface of the block, just to the left of centerline (if you are in front of the engine and looking towards its back). On an EA81, it is near the front-mounted distributor, on the EA82 it is just inboard of the thermostat housing. It should say clearly, in 1/2"-ish tall characters, either EA81 or EA82. (or perhaps EA61/71 or ER27).

Just to say it differentlly again.

EA81 are push rod motors. That means they have a CAM next to the crankshaft and then have rods (called pushrods) that go to a rocker assembly (the thing with arms that push the valves open and let them close) on both heads.

A EA82 has a gear on the crankshaft that you put a belt on that connects to each CAM on each head. these cams directly puch the rocker assembly.

EA82's have alloy rocker covers, EA81's have steel rocker covers. EA82's around about two inches wider then EA81's, but it makes no difference, you can put a EA81 in a EA82 body and vicesaversa.

EA82's come with 5sp gearboxes, while EA81's come with 4sp.

Just look at the engine, is the distributer on one of the heads, or near the middle of the block? (the distributer runs off the/a cam) Does it have [EA82] or [EA81] writen on the block?

Umm, I hope you can understand all that.

An engine-type ID is cast into each motor (at least the horizontally opposed ones) on the top front surface of the block, just to the left of centerline (if you are in front of the engine and looking towards its back). On an EA81, it is near the front-mounted distributor, on the EA82 it is just inboard of the thermostat housing. It should say clearly, in 1/2"-ish tall characters, either EA81 or EA82. (or perhaps EA61/71 or ER27).

Thanks...I'll get out and take a look on the next day it isn't raining...kinda in the process of lifting my soob too.

That is true if there both 4WD. When an EA81 is 2WD it will have a 5 speed if its manual. I know this cause i want one for my auto EA81

:cool: I've got 2, 4x4, 4 speed soobs...an '86 hatch and an '83 parts wagon...I would love to have a 5 speed for my hatch. thinking about parting out the wagon...will see.:-\

does your hatch have any rust?

None that I've found and I've been all over that car. over all it's pretty strait except for the messed up hood thanks to me not taking it outta gear or putting the e-brake on. was shopwing a friend something and instead of turning the key to turn it over I jumped the starter with a screw driver and it took off about 10 feet in 1st gear right into his dad's dump truck and wedged under his bumper...but have another hood already.

• 3 weeks later...

Both my cars have EA81s...hope I can find something to put the second engine, 4 speed trans, and complete running gear in. If I can't find another Subaru then I got my eyes on a VW Rabbit I'd like to try a conversion on....guess if push comes to shove then I might sell the extra but don't really want to do that unless have to.

If I can find a picture of the 4x4 Rabbit that inspired me I'll post it here...looks pretty cool.

http://www.p3racing.net/vw/rabbit/REAR.JPG

http://www.p3racing.net/vw/rabbit/Rabbit0001.jpg

"The frame of the cj5 had to be stretched 10" and the firewall cut back 8"... other than problems with the steering column lining up right there really wasn't much work..."