Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's Talk Brat Power....

Ok, So I am wanting a turbo car REALLY bad now, I want something quick, and somewhat relible to help my brat spin those 27's a bit better, and still have plenty of power to get around the highway better. By quick I mean 100HP + I would like to run at least 10 pounds of boost, if not closer to 20 somewhere...

Right now I have a carbbed EA81 in my brat.....It's gutless and I can redline it in 3rd gear up a hill doing 70mph and she still slows down! WITHOUT the 27" tires!!!

So, I was thinking either

A: SPFI it, and turbo the SPFI (would have to run lower boost)

B: NEVER find any EA81T parts or that might be an option

C: Drop an EA82T into it, with spider, front mount intercooler, etc.

Those are my options for now, I thought about the EJ swap, but I would kinda like to keep to the older engines, as I know them the best. Right now, I am leaning twards the EA82T, or the turbo SPFI....

Mainly, I just need some advice, and see what you guys think would be the best way to go.

Thanks

Rick

Ok, so does the EA82T bolt up to the brat tranny? I know I have to drill the fly out bigger for the EA82's bigger bolts, but what else in involved?

The engine crossmember seems like it might need changed, or modded for the turbo up pipe.... KBD said he would wire it up.....

Anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

i have done this swap recently in a brumby. you have to cut a big chunk mout of the stock crossmember for the exhaust crossover. it doesnt quite fit between the frame rails, a little creative panelbeating fixes this. you must slot the original engine mount holes if using ea82t mounts. i bolted up to my brumby 4 speed using a drilled out ea81 flywheel and ea81 clutch. then there is little things like radiator and heater hoses and throttle cable bracket. then you need your efi fuel system, surge tank, high pressure pump and a decent sized return line. hope all this helps.

i dont know if it will fit in the frame rails with a lift kit. i have been looking at doing a lift kit recently but im pretty sure it aint gonna happen without modding the frame rails properly.

Can't say as to the Turbo model, but do know the EA-82 carbed engine fits into a 2nd Gen with very little mods done. It be tight to the frame-rails, but you don't need to hammer on them. You'll have about 3/8" room on both sides when engine is bolted in.

When putting the engine into the BRAT, you'l want to leave the motor mount bracket bolts on the engine, loose. This will help the studs go thru the crossmember. Once you have engine centered, tighten bracket to engine bolts then the studs. The slots in the EA-81 crossmember are wide enough for the EA-82 mounts, but the slots are further up towards the frame rails on an EA-82 to allow for stud clearance when installing/pulling engine.

If you have a Hill-Holder,and want to keep it, you'll have to move it rearwards towards the firewall, about 2". Basically put the front bolt of the H-H bracket into the rear hole in the frame. Will also need to tweak the front-most brake line where it attaches to the Master Cylinder. Don't need to move it much, but it needs to be tweaked toward the strut tower to help clear Vac unit on disty, (if your engine has one)..

I would suggest using the EA-82 flywheel if at all possible, otherwise you'll need to transfer the T-belt and igntion timing marks over to the EA-81 flywheel. Take it from me, ain't no fun doing T-belts with no marks to go by., plus the ignition timing marks are off a bit between the two.

To transfer marks, bolt the crank side of one flywheel to the clutch side of the other, aligning the holes properly of course. Then just scribe the marks where needed. Good time to re-drill crank bolt holes now if you use the EA-81 flywheel. Best to have the EA-82 flywheel ontop of the EA-81's here, as it will help insure that the drill bit runs straight.

As for the mechanicals, that's about it other than fuel line and pump. Now, you have the wiring side of it. Can't help much there, but others have done it doing the EJ swaps. If,,,, I ever get back to working on my engine swap in the '82 BRAT, I'll have my own wiring to contend with, (ER-27 swap).

SHEESH! You whine waaaaay too much. Just kidding. As far as power, I would recommend an EA82T and drop it in there since they're so plentiful and since some of us have been able to put different performance parts in one.

Right now, I'm driving an '84 Brat with a solid lifter EA81.... talk about GUTLESS!!! I'm gonna drop the original hydro lifter motor back into it on Wednseday along with a better 4-speed.

Oh you wouldn't happen to have a spare EA81 4-speed shifter would ya? I need one for LUVMYBRAT's cherry red Brat since his is kinda bent.

Man, I know you said you don't wana do the EJ-22 swap, but man ... I just can't see why not, hmmm $6-$8,000 for a RAM built EA-81, with 140hp & torque, OR 137hp & torque from a stock oem engine that you can get at a JY with low miles, or even from a donor car for about $200 - $500???!???

I know what I am putting in MY brat :drunk:

Man, I know you said you don't wana do the EJ-22 swap, but man ... I just can't see why not, hmmm $6-$8,000 for a RAM built EA-81, with 140hp & torque, OR 137hp & torque from a stock oem engine that you can get at a JY with low miles, or even from a donor car for about $200 - $500???!???

I know what I am putting in MY brat :drunk:

Well said.

Although...

I really like the gutless wonder that is the ea81. I suspect you have a plugged exhaust or havent troubleshooted the engine enough. Search for a post with instructions I did for somebody else on how to setup a vac gauge on the engine to detect plugged exhaust. Did you pass smog when you tried? What is your timing set at?

I am aswell not fully loving the peformance of the EA-81, yet managed to get another ticket in it this morning which brings me back to earth where I don't need or want to go any faster.....its expensive.

Off road though, could be a different story.

Just my 5 cents