Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Engine into Loyale - Advice

Hey, I know there are threads on this topic and i've read most of them, but I was just hoping to get some direct feedback. How easy is it to swap a legacy (i think it's a 92 or 93) engine into a 90 loyale. What modifications need to be made and how long will the swap take (only have a few days to do it, gotta be done before my sister goes back to school). Also anyone who's done this what things did you run into and what should we watch out for during the swap? just hopin for some advice, thanks for any comments.

Ben

Would it just be easier to sell the loyale (we can get around 500 for it the way it is, the thing is spottless but the head is going) and buy a good legacy chassis to drop the engine into? thanks again

Definately NOT a 3 day job. If you need an engine replaced that quickly, you'd better stay with what is in the car now. I would keep the EJ series tranny, but you'll have to shorten the front driveline by 55mm. Remember, the tranny ratio must match the rear diff ratio.

I think it might be doable in 3 days if you have a donor car.

Assuming you could strip the donor car of it's engine tranny and wiring.

then day 1: Strip the Loyale

day 2: Do mechanical work of the EJ

Day 3: fart around with the wiring.

The wiring is the only real hold up i see. The mechanical stuff is basically like Lego from what i have heard/read.

Wait a couple weeks and i'll prolly tell you.. I'm putting an EJ20 into an '85 RX

BTW...my estimates are for an EA82T car. Where you will not have to swap front CV's, and so on.