Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loose things under the hood?!

Hi folks,

My 2nd thread ever, woo! *cough*

Trying to mess a little with the clutch, I noticed two things going on under the hood of my '89 Subaru GL. First item is clutch-related.

Item 1: Mysterious Clutch Thing

The cable from the clutch pedal is connected to an arm coming out of the gearbox. Now, there runs a second cable from this arm, running the opposite direction of the clutch cable, makes a lazy loop under the air filter (carb'd) and ends on top of a little device on the other side of the car (opposite side of the one the master cylinder is on). This device has the cable terminating on a little wheel and spring assembly, and from this device there runs a (hydraulic?) line, looking much like the brake lines running from the master cyl.

The question I have about this device is - what the heck is it? :-\ The thing is, it's not connected to the clutch arm that the clutch cable is connected to - it should be it seems, because there's a screw thread running through the arm, but it doesn't have any nuts on it.

Item 2: fuel filter?

On the right-hand-side of the carb(s) there appears to be a smallish pump type thing, about 1" in diameter. From this, as far as I can remember, one smallish hose runs to the carbs and one larger hose runs to the intake manifold on the right-hand pair of cylinders. From the bottom of this device, however, runs a hose which is connected to a white plastic cylinder, with the words "alcohol fuel compatible" on it, with an arrow showing the direction of flow pointing towards the little pump device, and a level indicator on it.

The thing about this is, the end the plastic canister seems to be intended to suck whatever from is just hanging in empty space. Nothing connected to it, and nothing nearby that appears to have to be connected to it. Also, this plastic-looking thing is not fixed to anything. It just sits there smiling at me.

Can anyone tell me what these are? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Item #1 is the Hill-Holder valve. When the nuts are put back on and it's properly adjusted, along with the clutch cable itself, it will hold the brakes on when you're stopped on a hill, without the need to have your foot on the brake pedal.

No idea on Item #2..

Tom is obviously correct on item one

I would add that the HH functions as the clutch fork

return spring..

It should be connected and adjusted.

Adjusting the HH is a matter of trial and error

Set the tension so there is some force holding the clutch

fork away from the throw out bearing

Find a up hill slope,

when stopped with the clutch in

pump the brakes once slightly and see it the car

rolls backward when the brake pedal is released.

If no make sure the car does roll when the clutch pedal

is about 1/3 to 1/2 of it's travel released

If the car rolls run the nut down the threaded shaft a bit more

There should be two nuts on the threaded end - the second being a lock nut

Now about item two??

I was going to say fuel filter also known as a

"vapor separator"

Then it sounded like the anti backfire valve

now it sounds like something this side of the pond is not

equipped with.

Our L-series cars did not have carbs in 89

can you get a picture of this devise

I just put the nuts back on the hill holder thinger, and had a fiddle with it - I have to say, for an almost-20-year-old car, this thing is far ahead of its time! Only thing is, on more steeper hills, it doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold the car.

As for item 2, here's a coupla pics...

The setup of Item 2

Weird objects circled with red, yellow tint shows how pipes run

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/besterh-__item2.JPG

The pump(?):

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/besterh-__pumpthinger.JPG

Item 2, one side

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/besterh-__item21.JPG

Item 2, the other side

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/besterh-__item22.JPG

And finally, one for Skip - this is something else I think might be different in standard equipment across the pond :)

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/besterh-__hellagens.JPG

...on more steeper hills, it doesn't seem to be strong enough to hold the car...

The hillholder acts as a brake line-lock: It just holds whatever pressure your foot put into the brake system. It may not hold that pressure if it is leaking/defective (haven't heard of this happening), or if it is not quite adjusted properly. Adjusted too loosely, and it will not hold the pressure; too tightely and it wil not release the pressure when you take your foot off of the clutch.

#2: I haven't seen anything like it. My guess is that the fuel filter going nowheres might be a kludge, somebody's way of putting a breather on the end of the line. Any electrical leads to the blue device? What does the writing on the top of it say?

when in doubt, yank it out

the white thing is a fuel filter, it would be good to add it to the supply line to the carb under the air box

the blue thing looks like some kind of vac. controlled vent device

all a carb engine needs to run is a line for the choke, and then add a line for the vac. brakes, climate control, timing advance

I have made write-ups of emissions removal

and they seem to run better afterwards.

headlight squiters!!

fbh

On the HH, as I said previously, the adjustment is trial and error

You need to turn the nuts down a few more mm on the shaft and try it again.

Remember sometimes it takes a bit of a pump on the brake pedal after the clutch is depressed.,

to set the HH on hold.

On the mystery gizmo, my bet is that what we are looking at is the modern version

of the anti afterburn valve fitted to some of our carbed cars.

Here is a scan from a FSM

ABV.jpg

As Northwet says the fuel filter is just acting as an air filter for the lower input

My bet is the external lines from the top to the middle on the old model shown, are now internal.

On the "to Skip":

Nice lights - we got Hellas but they were round on the cars on this side

We also have a few other parts

please see

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49329&highlight=Willy

To view a few

Good luck,

email me (click on my name and select - send email)

if you have questions

Very nice, almost makes me feel like going to America and getting a subie there. You have oil and voltage gauges over there too, lol.

heh, the high beam indicators on my dash are kind of dim, very hard to see. I was kind of like driving along on the highway with high beams and the halogens on, and there I was wondering why the hell people are flashing their headlights at me LOL

Oops :)

EDIT: what's that big black thing spanning most of the width of the dash on the right hand side on your car?

Thanks

all six lamps are wired to my high beam switch (4 aux driving lamps (100 w each) both high beams (Syvainia Xtra visions))

My high beam switch is a foot operated control ( from a Ford truck)

I am also "reminded" when I don't dim them

but

don't come at me with yours on

I use the flash to pass and it looks light a bank of flash bulbs going off or so I'm told

The dash extension is a unit I made to hold more gizmos.

Good luck with your Roo