Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Today I went into the dash to replace a burnt out bulb for heating and a/c controls on my 97 Outback, and had a little trouble finding the right one. As it turns out, Subaru had problems with these little bulbs burning out all the time and therefore switched to a significantly bigger one. It still fits fine, of course, but it threw they guy at the parts counter for a loop when comparing my original one and the new one. It wasn't until another employee came along and knew of this change in spec. Just thought I would give everyone a heads-up if they run into this.

Yeah, I noticed that the second time I replaced the bulbs a few years back. The bulb was quite a bit bigger. However, it didn't really last any longer.

The last time I replaced the bulbs, I used the RS 7219 bulbs. Since the green condoms wouldn't fit, I didn't bother with them. I have a white light instead of green, but no big deal. Interestingly, the bulbs have stood up twice as long and are still going.

I used the same RS bulbs in the dash switches, but was able to use the old green condoms. They have eventually burned out. Someone had theorized in another thread that the condom increases heat in the bulb and leads to the failure. My experience would support that theory.

Commuter

Can anyone who has used these larger bulbs comment on output? Are/were your panel lights noticably brighter?

No change that I noticed (with the larger OEM bulbs compared to the original smaller ones).

Brighter without the green condom (on the RS bulbs), but not by much. Obviously, white light instead of green as a result.

Commuter