Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disable Beeps on '06 Forester

Hi all,

As you can see, I'm new here, but not new to forums, so I indeed did search for the answer before posting. A couple of things:

1. I drive my forester about 2 minutes to work, which is an outdoor centre, then I drive around nearly all day on dirt roads, from building to building, at no more than 10-15 km/h--or very very slowly, since the roads aren't great. Plus nobody is around. So... I'm wondering how to turn off the infernal beep beep beep of the seatbelt warning. Believe me, I wear my seatbelt all the time on public roads, but also believe me, there is no need for it when I'm crawling along for about a 30 second drive. It would double my trip time if I had to buckle and unbuckle... I've read a few accounts of how to disable the beep on older Subies, but those methods don't seem to work.

2. Another noise issue: how do I disable the chirps of the keyless locks?

Thanks in advance

The search function here is kinda not very good:)

I asked this question yesterday and got some helpful replies and also found this in the search...I got my '06 Outback seatbelt beeper fixed, only beeps 6 times now, then stops.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46340&highlight=seatbelt

1 Lucky Texan's post is the one that did it for me. Brus Brother set me on the right track, but I think I was doing it wrong.:)

2 ways that wont hurt the car.

#1. Wear the belt

#2. Get an extra buckle from a junkyard and buckle the BELTLESS buckle into the receptical to THINK you are buckled in.

#3. Hack up the wiring, but the air bags may not work right if you do that.

I'd lean towards #2 if you dont want to wear the belt there. I wouldnt go hacking up the wiring.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm

If this link doesn't help with the remote chirping, I think I found the solution in the owner's manual.

The seatbelt solution is to turn the key to the on position without starting the engine then quickly buckle and unbuckle the driver's seatbelt about 10 or 15 times within a minute and finally unbuckle. Turn key off and remove. Can't remember if I got out of the car and off of the seat sensor but give it a shot if it doesn't work the first time. Reinsert key and you should now hear only 5 or 6 beeps each time and then it stops after this initial warning. I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that this in any way interferes with any other safety mechanism on the car.

The seatbelt solution is to turn the key to the on position without starting the engine QUOTE]

:rolleyes: I have been performing this with the engine running all along, and I have never gotten it to work! Hopefully this will do the trick.

Funny, I was kind of questioning this step in the directions (actually having the car running) because I couldn't believe that in this litigious, overly safe world that Subaru would want the engine running while the driver (or anyone else in the car) is fumbling around with the seat belt in this manner.

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses--

Aksoob, your thread looks promising! I'll try it out and let you know.

Is there some way that the car confirms that the seatbelt trick "takes hold", or do you have to sit there and listen for more beeps each time you try it?

Thanks for the "seatbelt trick"--no more beeps now, nice.

And I will ...sheepishly... report that the owner's manual explained how to disable the chirps when using the keyless remote...

Thanks again.

Think twice about disabling the chirps of your keyless-lock remote.

The buttons on the fob are so touchy that you can too easily unlock your car and never know it. I just re-enabled my chirps after a couple months. Got tired of carefully holding my keys until I was out of range of the remote. Now I can just drop them in my pocket and listen as I walk away.

Seriously, you'll never know if you bumped the unlock button and your car is sitting there wide open. It's a serious flaw in the system. I'm thinking of making a vinyl "bag" to slip around my remote so that I really have to try to lock/unlock the car.

Juan

I agre on the sensitivity of the later model remotes. My 2000 is fine but the 05 seems to have a configuration that seems to go off by just looking at it hard.

Think twice about disabling the chirps of your keyless-lock remote.

The buttons on the fob are so touchy that you can too easily unlock your car and never know it. I just re-enabled my chirps after a couple months. Got tired of carefully holding my keys until I was out of range of the remote. Now I can just drop them in my pocket and listen as I walk away.

Seriously, you'll never know if you bumped the unlock button and your car is sitting there wide open. It's a serious flaw in the system. I'm thinking of making a vinyl "bag" to slip around my remote so that I really have to try to lock/unlock the car.

Juan