Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many of you out there with 2.5l DOHC motors have had problems with your water pump? Reason I ask is because I called a shop today to find out what it would cost to get a timing belt changed, and they said that when they do that, they also like to replace the water pump. Is this an item that often fails? He said it would add about $200 onto the cost of the t-belt change (which is already pricey!) to do the water pump. The nice thing is that even with the water pump change, the complete service on my paid-for OBW would still amount to less than 3 car payments, but I'm just curious because although I've heard all about the dreaded head gasket problems, I've never heard that Subaru water pumps are point failure areas.

The water pump will eventually fail at some point. What your mechanic is trying to do is save you some money in the long run. Since the pump is driven by the T-belt you will need to go through all of the labor again and depending on the type of pump failure, the t-belt maybe damage or broken too.

Okay, so it sounds like a sensible bit of preventative maintenance to just go ahead and do it now. Since I plan on keeping this car a good long while, I figure it's probably cheap insurance.

Shawn, not sure what you're talking about - I have been on the board for a couple of years, but I've never been to Canada, although last year when I was overseas I was seriously thinking about taking a trip to Alaska via the Alaska highway - maybe that's what you remember? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to work out such a trip, though I'd like to do it someday eventually. I lived in Laramie, WY until May when I graduated from law school, now I'm down in Denver. The shop I called was Strictly Automotive, and it got some good recommendations from the folks here. One of the nice things about owning a Subaru in Colorado is that there are so many of them around that there are lots of Subaru-specializing independent shops, so there are plenty of opportunities to shop around. A friend of mine who lives in North Carolina says that there are very few Subarus there so they are basically stuck with having to go to the few dealers for any services.

I would expect 120k miles or ten years. So if you are nearing that mileage, it would be worth fitting a new pump.

I agree, I have even seen start leaking at 110k. changing it now will save you a lot of $$ if it goes out because they will have to tear into the front end again and if any fluid gets on the t-belt that will have to be replaced also.