Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why isnt anyone using haltech?

i dont know too much about megasquirt or whatever, but i do know that people have been using haltech stand alone computer systems on everything else in the world for a long time now. anybody run a haltech on a subaru? im puting together a system for my 4runner, and all i would need is an extra harness to switch it over to my er27 motor.

One of the worst thing about HalTech is there service, or lack there of. I tried calling to US service center in Texas, only got a recording to leave name and number, I never got a reply. I finally ended up calling Australia (yep, that's where they are made) and never really got any real help from them either. A friend has used a HalTech on a different application and it works fine. I would image that it might work OK on an EA series engine, but they don't seem to like the cam and crank angle sensors on the EJ series engines.

Depends on the Haltech. The E6s are less expensive, E8s aren't too bad, but the E11s & such are pretty pricey.

Regardless, minimum for a Haltech in decent shape seems to be around the $800 mark (or will be by the time you add all the appropriate sensors), and I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of people here have less than that, total, in their cars.

-=Russ=-

Vote number 2 for the SDS system. It is WONDERFUL.

Now...ANY standalone should be fully tunable for any combination (that's what they do)...so a feature limitation here or there rarely makes or breaks a tune. Any system from Haltech, Racetech (SDS), Electromotive, MoTeC, Link, Wolf, AEM...load them up with the same fuel and ignition maps and they will all behave identically (within a small percentage perhaps). Keep that in mind when selecting an EMS. The SDS is simple and inexpensive. That puts it leagues ahead of most competing systems from square one. What are the limitations? There were none worth noting for my application, so making the purchase was a no brainer.

I've actually purchased, installed, and tuned this system on a real engine that ran in a real car (I know there's a LOT of heresay about standalones on the net because it was virtually impossible for me to get the straight dope on any of them). You can make it work on anything with port fuel injection and the tuning window is literally infinite.

I even tuned a set of individual throttle bodies to work in a VERY streetable fashion (cold start, idle, part throttle, and of course WOT). Tuning ITBs is the litmus test for engine management systems in my opinion. I was getting 35 MPG highway and 27 city with that combination (1.9L FWD 4 cyl dyno'd at 140 WHP...stock is a tad over 100).

I set it to lean burn with high ignition advance then sweep through stoich smoothly on the way to 12.8:1 AFR at WOT. Seamless and responsive at any RPM and any throttle position.

I know nothing about it...but I'm looking for something that will work good at idle and wide open. Megasquirt sounds like a lot of messing around to get it right but a lot of people are making big power with it.

MegaSquirt isn't very hard to setup, plus if you check the forum, there's probably someone who has a subaru you could get your base settings from.

http://megasquirt.info

http://rs-autosport.com/

is a good place to start