Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions of - Oil vs Oil -and- Water Wetter

unless you have lots of money into an engine, its not worth it to run something thats so expensive, that in 3 oil changes, you've paid more for oil then the whole car. Water wetter is good stuff but not worth it unless you're running a turbo and even then, if your car is getting warm, then you're having a cooling issue. My '89 RX has Mobil 1 5w30 in it just because A. its turbo and B. there's mroe money sunk into this car then you can shake a stick at.

i use wal-mart full synthetic 10-w30 in my 88 turbo , 111,000mi , in my 88 dl i use amsoil 10w30 ,the amsoil gives me 5-10 more lbs of oil pressure , the 88 dl has 192,000mi , [ aftermarket oil pressure gauge] , and mobil 1 oil filters in both , never used the other stuff, wal-mart full synthetic sells for 12.67 a 5qt jug

Am I mistaken, or is WaterWetter not very useful in a proper anti-freeze mix?

I run 15W40 in my XT6 during the summer. Right now I have some lighter stuff for winter commuting; we'll see how quickly it burns/leaks now that I've cleaned the motor up some. I used Redline motor oil in the Neon to great effect, but the budget is so tight I'm trying something different right now.

:burnout: -Wondering what oil anyone uses; Normal oil or High performance oil (example: Royal Purple High Performance Motor Oil)?

:burnout: -Does anyone used Red Line Water Wetter Cooling System Treatment?

:banghead: Forgot to mention that I use Royal Purple high performance 100% synthetic oil in my 89 Honda Civic hatchback that I'm converting to raceautocross and up at Portland International Raceway(PIR).' *edit* and also used it in a '01 Ford Focus and in both card noticed a definate horse power gain. I'm thinking about using the Water Watter in my '89 Subaru GL Hatchbackbecouse it does seem to get a little hot when it just idles for a little while...not sure if that's notmal but my Honda did that when I first got it too.

The Redline water wetter I have used was for racing, anti-freeze is very slippery and dangerous on a track ... I don't know if they make a special "wetter" for street use, it has been over 10 yrs since I raced my motorcycle at PIR and they made us use Redline water wetter just to keep things safer.

Is there a "wetter" for street use? I live in Montana ..it gets very cold here with sometimes little or no warning .. it was -20 DEG for a while in November and I had antifreeze in my radiator mixed for -35 DEG and my radiator STILL froze :banghead: enough to make small leaks ... I wouldn't take any chances on that stuff, but your in Eugene, it's a bit more mild and forgiving weatherwise ... :)

If your subaru leaks(like most do), I wouldn't recommend putting in synthetic. Not unless you have recently resealed the motor and have already broken it in. In that case, then yes, it would be okay to run it.

As for Redline Water Wetter, it is good stuff. I wouldn't add any in unless you flush your cooling system first. It isn't meant to remedy any overheating issues. You can run it with coolant(I think it is like a 20% coolant to water ratio) and it will work lower operating temps as the bottle states. If your car is getting a bit warm when it idles for extended periods of time, then that is normal, unless it is getting extremely hot. If that is the case, then there is something else wrong with your cooling system.

Patrick

I've seen lots of opinions on this, but not real evidence one way or the other. I've tried both and now use dino, for no real good reason.

Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_engines.html) does oil analysis.

They say "It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine...you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us. "