Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 subaru

Its either a GL or a DL, If you have a tach its a GL, if you don't its a DL.

Basically, its an older Loyale.

I believe that the 2 door you speak of with the hatch back makes it a Coupe, and if you have a turbo and full time 4wd, then you have a rare RX, or an even rarer turbo 4wd non RX, which not many were made.

So does it have a turbo? that looks just like the RX's. Did they ever make coupe loyals in the US that wern't RX's? There cool looking car's I reckon. Haven't seen one here in Aus, so unsure if they ever got here.

So, you looking to buy it, or you already own it?

they did make non-RX coups, but they did not have the rear spoiler, nor say "RX" on the side - or have the bodykit

if it is a three speed automatic (it is if it has a 4WD button on it) then it is not an RX - the only RX to come with an automatic transmission was the '89 MY - those are rare, and they have the four speed automatics - which are "Full-time 4WD" or called "All-Wheel-Drive"

I vote GL coupe - the RX had "RX" written everywhere on it - and most did not have automatics, and none had a three speed auto

I do not know, but I bet that no turbo coupe came with the 3-speed auto - but I may be wrong

I picked up an '87 gl coupe here in Portland on Jan 1. It has the 3 speed auto / push-button 4wd with the 3.9 rear differential, spfi. This is my next project vehicle - the auto trans has the governor problem and possibly something more serious; and it has two bad sparkplug holes (helicoiled, with one failure = ballistic sparkplug).

The body and interior are exceptional for an '87, no rust and the wheel wheels have been nicely coated for additional rust proofing.

My plan is to try to get it running as is and to gather the necessary parts to dump the auto trans and put in a d/r manual and to totally rebuild the motor.

Will be doing some research to see if I should try to make it into an rx.