Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another "is this worth it" 78 gl 4wd wagon

would you guys think this is worth $2800?i found an identical in every gen 1 wagon to this one pictured, it red, 50k original miles, original owner, no rust, 4wd. it really just sounds like a nice original cream puff. i just don`t know if it would be worth it. do you think i could get me money back out of it on ebay if i needed to sell it?

78glwag-red.jpg

If you got it why would you want to sell it? With as much trouble as you go to find these rust free great shape subies I would think you would never let them go. But isn't that your Brat on Ebay? Man all that effort to find it, have it shipped, then turn around and sell it? I don't know man, I could not do it after all that effort to get it. Anyway, good luck with the wagon.

I agree with you Jon one of the fun things about finding a Subaru is the hunt for it. I just could not let it go after a challenging hunt for it. I keep finding them but, unfortunately they are never good enough to keep. Maybe that is the difference. I find them, strip them and, take them to the junk and then I have more room and the hunt begins again. But so far every old Subie I find is rotted out or wrecked. I guess if you want to keep up the hunt for them you have to clear space for something else. Otherwise you may end up with your own personal Subaru car lot!:D You will find one that will be a keeper eventually though. Hope you get it!

It...might be. My winning bid on my '73 was $2,500 (about), plus around $400 in prep fees that were disclosed in the auction (they were waived when I got there). I also had to buy airplane tickets, a short train ride, and the gas to drive it home, but since this wagon is apparently local to you I wouldn't worry about that.

I wouldn't expect to recover the total cost, though. The market for these cars is very small; once you run the mileage up a little, there goes your investment.

Besides--Stage II 4WDs are relatively common, '75 or earlier Soobs are going to command the bigger $$ in the future (as they do already), especially the coupes, split-gate wagons, and first year 1400cc 4WDs.

If I were you I'd get a Stage II from a Western state and either ship it or drive it home. (Well, I'd drive it home, but that's just me :) )

if you have somewhere to keep it (garage), drive it only on good days, and have somethig else as a daily beater then why not. If you are going to make it a daily driver your nuts....but that is just my opinion.

I have my 83 with 54k on it in heated storage (rental not mine) and it is uninsured till mar. 1st and that car isn't nearly as collectable as the one you are thinking about.

That being said....my first car was a 79 DL wagon 4wd that had jackmans on it. It was blue with blue int. and it had 78k on it when I sold it.... yeah I'm stupid. :banghead:

BTW, i really like the OBS in the pic...now thats a nice car...but once again that might be just me....;)

• 2 weeks later...