Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just bought GL-10, and I' m kinda worried

Did I let my subaru passion get the best of me this time? I'm starting to be a little concerned about my purchase:

1986 GL-10 turbo, wagon, FWD, AT, 140K miles. Car runs good, but there are some obvious maintenance issues that need to be addressed right away.

So far I've got the following on the maintenance docket:

- replace coilover strtus with KYB GR-2s (thank God no air suspension on this baby). Currently this thing drives like a boat.

- the car is leaking coolant like a sieve - not sure where from (doesn't look like radiator), but it hasn't overheated yet. I'm going to replace water pump to be safe, flush system, and I need to install analog temp gauge per recommendation. Hopefully radiator lasts a little longer. There is a little metal tube on top of the engine that is rusted and leaking coolant from between the attached rubber hose and the metal nipple. Does anyone know what that is (so I can replace it)?

- brakes needs servicing as brake fluid is really nasty looking (dark brown), also worried about booster and master cylinder (long story) although car still brakes well. Anyone know of a quick test?

- oil leaking from somewhere (?) - going to replace gaskets - hopefully the cam/rear seals are good, but I'm afraid I will need to replace.

- timing belts (no idea when last changed) need changing

- timing belt covers are cracked, but still fit (kind of). Do I need to find new ones?

Can someone tell me what I've gotten myself into?

Thanks.

-Steve

PS - forgot about new plugs and wires

Eh, thats like any turbo subaru that you buy used. My suggestions, find the coolant leak so you dont overheat it and end up replacing headgaskets and/or heads. Pull your outer timing belt covers off and check the belts.. If they arent cracked, dont worry about em.

As for the brakes, 86 seemed to be a good year for master cylinders and brake boosters. I got 170,000 of hard arctic driving on mine and they still work fine. You'll want to flush your brake fluid because it likes to absorb water. Change the pads and check the rotors.

Go to a JY and get a set of front struts. Back struts, get new strut cartridges and then Honda Accord 87' LX FRONT springs.

Leaking oil, I almost guarentee its the orings inbetween the heads and the cam covers...

So all and all, Pull the engine, clean it up, find the coolant leak, reseal the cam cases and valve covers. Check front and rear seal and t-belts. Leave the front T-belt covers off. Change your struts with the engine out. Flush brake fluid and change pads.

Done deal

Coolant leaks:

1. The little rubber hose you mentioned is probably one of the crossover hoses on the intake manifold. They carry coolant. Replace them both, while you're doing other stuff to the motor.

2. Another coolant leak occurs at the pipe that fits into toe water pump. The other end of this pipe is connected to the lower radiator hose. There is a rubber o-ring that seals the pipe at the water pump. Put a new one on. I used grease to help it slide into the water pump; works better for me than using coolant as a lubricant.

Was this the dark green one that was on AutoTrader?

Fix her up and enjoy, there's nothing quite like a Subie :)

Yep that's the one if you are referring to the one in Houston. It's an awesome car overall. This is a Texas car. Just a tiny bit of rust here and there, but other than that the body is in excellent condition for a 20 yr old.

Believe it or not this car is a 1 owner. I'm amazed at the condition of the interior. A cigarette never touched the ashtray, and there are absolutely no stains on the seats. It even has the original floor mats!

I feel fortunate over such a rare find, but the leaks are worrisome. I'm putting plans and a parts list together to fix 'em though. The oil leaks seem easier to fix than the coolant leaks, but I'm sure I'll get it all settled.

I'm looking forward to a long future with this car.

Thanks.

-Steve

Coolant leaks:

1. The little rubber hose you mentioned is probably one of the crossover hoses on the intake manifold. They carry coolant. Replace them both, while you're doing other stuff to the motor.

2. Another coolant leak occurs at the pipe that fits into toe water pump. The other end of this pipe is connected to the lower radiator hose. There is a rubber o-ring that seals the pipe at the water pump. Put a new one on. I used grease to help it slide into the water pump; works better for me than using coolant as a lubricant.

Yeah it's definitely attached to something on the intake, and it looks rusted. Can that little metal nipple be replaced, or is that mated to the manifold?

Thanks again.

./steve

on my gl10t i had a leak on the cooling system that turned out to be turbo cooling system. is this leak on the pass or drivers side?

Jim

I can't tell yet Jim. I haven't had time to start pulling things apart. I basically crawled under the engine, ran a finger across the block, and put some of the leaky stuff on my tongue. It was antifreeze.

It looks like there may be more than one leak. As I mentioned, there is fluid coming out of a little hose attached to a nipple on the intake manifold. The leak there is caused by rust on the nipple itself which I guess caused the hose to break down.

I'm not sure where the other one is coming from. You say the turbo? How can I check this?

Thanks.

./steve

• 4 weeks later...

My '85 GL-10 Turbo was losing coolant, but I couldn't find the leak. Finally, after much searching I found the culprit. There is a short piece of heater hose on the passenger side under the turbo which goes from an outlet to the turbo. It was bulging and spongy. I replaced it and never had to top up the radiator since.

I can't tell yet Jim. I haven't had time to start pulling things apart. I basically crawled under the engine, ran a finger across the block, and put some of the leaky stuff on my tongue. It was antifreeze.

It looks like there may be more than one leak. As I mentioned, there is fluid coming out of a little hose attached to a nipple on the intake manifold. The leak there is caused by rust on the nipple itself which I guess caused the hose to break down.

I'm not sure where the other one is coming from. You say the turbo? How can I check this?

Thanks.

./steve

My '85 GL-10 Turbo was losing coolant, but I couldn't find the leak. Finally, after much searching I found the culprit. There is a short piece of heater hose on the passenger side under the turbo which goes from an outlet to the turbo. It was bulging and spongy. I replaced it and never had to top up the radiator since.

Thanks for the tip Dean. I'll check there after I get my car running again. It broke down Suunday. See my new thread "subie broke down, need input".

Hehe. That's life I guess.

./steve

I had to replace that one also. I didn't do it when I had the engine out and paid for that decision later.

Yep that's the one if you are referring to the one in Houston. It's an awesome car overall. This is a Texas car. Just a tiny bit of rust here and there, but other than that the body is in excellent condition for a 20 yr old.

Believe it or not this car is a 1 owner. I'm amazed at the condition of the interior. A cigarette never touched the ashtray, and there are absolutely no stains on the seats. It even has the original floor mats!

I feel fortunate over such a rare find, but the leaks are worrisome. I'm putting plans and a parts list together to fix 'em though. The oil leaks seem easier to fix than the coolant leaks, but I'm sure I'll get it all settled.

Finding an old gen with a clean body is the hard part. Fixing the leaks is the easy part. :-)

-=Russ=-