Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best subaru years for used vehicle

I own 2 wagons, 1998 92000.miles and 2001 104000 miles Ouback. I would like to purchase a 3rd vehicle to replace a Ford Taurus wagon. My Ford has a 171,000 miles. My concern is the recent HG problems Subaru has been facing. Audi makes the A3 wagon awd. I think Volvo makes a small wagon awd. would like to save some money and purcahse a used Subaru. I like the WRX hatcback but it is small. I guess I could put the tule on top to get my son to college. My thoughts are The H6 wagon or did Subaru fix the problms with the HG's in the 2004 model years. Is the turbo engine in the forester or legacy diiferent then the regular 2.5.

Are the Honda crv or Toyota Rav 4 better vehicles the te Subaru. Teh CRV seems very light and not as solid as a Subaru.

I think Volvo makes a small wagon awd. would like to save some money and purcahse a used Subaru.

I thought you were trying to get AWAY from a FORD built vehicle...

My thoughts are The H6 wagon

Good; No... GREAT Thought. :banana:

Are the Honda crv or Toyota Rav 4 better vehicles the te Subaru. Teh CRV seems very light and not as solid as a Subaru.

NO. See your first "thought".

I have heard nothing but good about 2004 and up Subies. Seems like a lot of issues have been corrected. The H6 seems quite solid.

I don't know anyone who has the Toyota RAV but I do know a few folks with the Honda. I have been told the Honda is not as good in the snow as a Subaru but have not seen this myself. A co-worker has had no major problems with his Honda.

the Volvo would not be on my short list as I have heard too many complaints about expensive service when the get a few years on them.

I've heard nothing but expensive maintenance stories on the audi and volvo AWD's. They are very nice cars for the money (don't know how the AWD compares), just more expensive to maintain.

The toyota and honda are probably at least trouble free as the subaru if not more so. But they both have a shorter wheelbase (than an OBW) and sit higher up. Having a longer wheelbase and lower center of gravity will be better for control when sliding around in snow.

The new 2.5 turbos have a longer stroke and smaller bore. I doubt they will have any headgasket weakness.

Not sure on the non-turbo 2.5 - so you better get a turbo !!

Setright, if you get a chance, post the new bore & stroke specs. I wasn't aware that those dimensions had changed ...I'm curious.

Up till now, all 2.5 have been: 99.5mm x 79mm

**** *****!

I test drove a used 2000 Rav 4 with 80k miles on it before I bought the Forester. It was tight and smooth......drove and felt like brand new. Owner said no problems, just did scheduled maint. But it is smaller inside and no rear bumper, I feel safer in the Forester.