Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a quick preface: i have a cherry accord with fresh paint that i didn't want to drive on winter roads, bought a 92 (195k) legacy. just made a 4 hr trip for the weekend, blizzard conditions both way...and...well i fell in love!

now i'm selling the accord, and going to buy a newer Subaru, and i need to pick your brains! i'll be looking for not older than 98. i want all the goodies, what package should i look for, what engine and all that stuff, outback or forester?

thank you for your learned opinions and expertise

a quick preface: i have a cherry accord with fresh paint that i didn't want to drive on winter roads, bought a 92 (195k) legacy. just made a 4 hr trip for the weekend, blizzard conditions both way...and...well i fell in love!

now i'm selling the accord, and going to buy a newer Subaru, and i need to pick your brains! i'll be looking for not older than 98. i want all the goodies, what package should i look for, what engine and all that stuff, outback or forester?

what type of accord?

If you like the V6 in the Accord, you'd best be getting an outback with the Flat 6, 250 hp and similar torque numbers.

There available in sedan and wagon formats, and the newer ones come with VDC, which is just fancy traction and stability control.

Theres also the turbo models, but if you don't like turbo lag, or plan on getting an automatic i'd go with the 6, as with an auto box the 4 can be a bit slow, compared to a 6 at least, my dads forester auto with the 4 isn't bad.

probably best to test drive a few to see what you like and don't like. i personally wouldn't buy any 2.5 liter motors unless they are newer (2001 and up i believe) as the old ones are prone to head gasket failure. not a huge percentage but search for "headgasket" here on this newer generation forum and you'll see what i mean, plenty of posts on the subject. otherwise the 2.5 is a great motor. i'd rather have the 2.2 (and i do own one) than the 2.5. the 2.2 is a great motor and they run forever, but you might not like the lower power of the 2.2.

the H6 is a very new motor and not much is known about it in terms of reliability and such. i wouldn't get it, but that's because i put 200,000+ miles on cars and do all the work myself, i want more info on reliability and maintenance. if you don't keep cars that long, drive that many miles or do your own maintenance then my mental hang ups mean nothing to you.

some years auto trans have Torque Bind (do a search here on the forums for what years/makes as i do not know). it's not a huge deal, but be a good thing to look out for while test driving. it's fixable and won't leave you sitting, just something easy to pay attention to while looking around.

well...i plan to keep the car for 200k+ miles, using synthetic oil and strict maint as i did with my accord, i'm not a racer... so i don't need super power, but i do want to pass trucks on 2 lane mountain roads.

i'm hoping to get $13k for my honda so that is what i want to put back into a subaru

Get a Legacy, not an Outback. Much better handling as a road car, and you won't be paying the Paul Hogan premium.

With 13K you should be able to get a really nice sedan or wagon. I would avoid turbos, but then that's personal bias, and knowing how much bother I'm willing to put up with (not much) for extra power that I would seldom use anyhow.

We've never felt stuck for lack of power in our 2000 Legacy (Brigton) wagon and we drive a LOT of two lane mountain roads in NW Montna, Idaho, and Washington in all seasons.

get a 99 legacy outback SUS. they're awsome

Careful with the turbo. Not as good in the snow due to the lag. I would probably stick with the 2.5 but I haven't driven the 3.0 yet. I recommend the Legacy 2.5 GT if you're looking for all the options. Beware of the head gasket in the 2.5 though. I think it was previously stated that if you get one newer than 2000 it shouldn't be an issue. I've got a 2004 2.5 ts and I love it. Plenty of power to pass trucks uphill in 5th gear.

I think the best long range driver is the Legacy preferably as new as you can afford and definately past 2000. An often undernoticed car is the 2.2 powered (best Subaru engine IMHO) Outback sport wagon. I have a Forester that fits my lifestyle, but drive the models that interest you. There really is quite a difference between these cars.

Like almost everyone else said, avoid pre-00 subarus, unless you can find the rare 2.2 engine. The 00-03 still has a HG problem but it has an external leak and is covered by a recall and extended warranty. I believe 2003+ is HG safe alltogether. The 2.5 H4 has good power if you are not afraid to rev it 3000-4000 RPM. I pull a boat (2000+ lbs) and the engine is not stressed. I can easly go 75 mph fully loaded and with a boat with a room to accelerate faster.

Legacy wagon line is most practical and the best value.

get a 99 legacy outback SUS. they're awsome
SUS? Isn't that just a Legacy sedan with a lift kit, two-tone body paint, and leather?

My tastes run more spartan. You can get a Brighton with hand-crank windows, wooden pews for seats, and a stick shift, for so much less money than a fancy Outback in similar mechanical condition.

I've had my '96 for almost two years now, and aside from scheduled mantainence and rust-related repair, I've only had to put $70 in to it. The 2.2L, and the Subaru as a whole, is a very well build machine.

Dont get a 2000 or older 2.5L. 2.2 are not rare. I think it is a fact that the 2.2 is the best motor Subaru ever built. Outbacks (well at least my 96) handles very well. Im quite sure it cant hold up with a gt wagon, but I have had plenty of sport cars, and trust the outback handles pretty well for having so much ground clearance. I hear the automatic are more prone to problems.

i'm not a racer... so i don't need super power, but i do want to pass trucks on 2 lane mountain roads.

i'm hoping to get $13k for my honda so that is what i want to put back into a subaru

Well, if I was gonna spend $13k on a Subi that can pass trucks, I'd buy an older OBW for less than $5k and pick up an STi drivetrain for about $5k, then (if you're not a wrench) pay somebody to put the two together. Subaru reliability with 300hp & 300lb/ft of torque in a sleeper package--your old Honda buddies won't know what hit 'em.

Oh, and you'll have no problem passing those pesky trucks on mountain roads.:brow:

All AWD subie systems are full time awd. 4wd is where you get into the option of haveing 2wd or 4wd, and that is a completely different setup/system. The awd is great, all the time, it helps in handling on any road condition (including dry pavement) and of course the benefits are even greater in snow, rain, and mud.