Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale Engine Swap

Hi, I have a 1993 Loyale wagon, it has the EA82 non turbo, and it recently died. Seeing as how there are many low km engines out there cheaper than a rebuild, I thought I would swap in the EA82T for a lil more power.

My question is this: Will I have to swap engine wiring harnesses?

I know that I will need a new downpipe, and possibly a turbo engine ECU, is there anything else I will need to do?

No A/C, FWD/AWD via pushbutton.

Yup, you'll need a crossmember from a turbo car, or you can just notch yours so the exhaust fits.

You'll need the ECM and the entire wiring harness from the dash forward. The wiring is not that bad, but you'll need a factory service manual for it.

Entire harness from the dash forward... does that include all under dash wiring, or just where the engine harness pokes through the firewall and runs inside? I do know a fair bit about electrical, and being that it is pretty cold out here, I would rather not be ripping a dash apart at a junkyard during winter...

If indeed I do need to rip out the entire dash wiring, would I be able to get away with looking through the wiring diagrams and converting the turbo engine harness to mate with my nonturbo in car harness? I do realize I will need the turbo engine's ECU/ECM/PCM etc...

i have done this befre well actually twice cuz i replaced my wirring/dash...the easy way is to find a turbo gl, remove the entire dash with everything still attached, then remove the entire main harness/fuse block (it splits & runs through the driver fender & top of engine bay) by pulling/feeding it into the car, unbolt factory bc selinoid form the pass side of the engine bay.

you will also need the crossmember with ps lines, fuel pump, motor (duh) with manifold harness, the downpipe will bolt into your existing exhaust.

• 2 months later...

Have you done your Loyale yet? I have a '92 that I recently purchased with high miles. I was going to convert to 5 speed. Picked up a dual range to put into it. Then I came across an '87 XT with a 1500 mile rebuilt engine in it for $50. So I am going to swap the XTs turbo engine in the Loyale. How much work is it to modify the XT's harness into the Loyale's? Is that even possible? What is the best harness for me to look for? Will a MFI harness work?

Finished my loyale a while ago, ended up doing a direct engine swap, no customizing.

The old engine has new seals and the bottom end is flawless. It could use some new rocker arms, that's where the ticking comes from. If anyone wants it....

So you put a non turbo engine?

Finished my loyale a while ago, ended up doing a direct engine swap, no customizing.

The old engine has new seals and the bottom end is flawless. It could use some new rocker arms, that's where the ticking comes from. If anyone wants it....