Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another exhaust question /problem

replaced exhaust gaskets both sides not oem , and passanger side blew out again, had to take it to a shop for the drivers side [ 140 bucks] what would be causing it to keep on blowing out ? 88 turbo a/t full time 4wd , i am afraid if i mess with the passanger side ,the bolts may not go back in tight , should i double them up ? there was a thread some where about napa having a kite ?

A couple of things that come to mind are; Flange is warped, or otherwise bent so it doesn't sit flush with the head. Slight wash-out of the aluminum of the head in the port area. Your radio isn't turned up enough......

As far as doubling-up the gaskets, don't know how well that would work on a Soob motor, haven't had the need to try it. But I have doubled the gaskets when installing headers on V-8's, never had one blow-out after I started doing that. But,,, I was told that doing so was un-nessecary 'cause they shouldn't leak, "period", and using 2 gaskets was asking for a leak. So much for their therory....

Carquest carries a exhaust gasket that is thicker than any other gasket you get at subaru or napa, online etc.

I dont have the part number on hand, but I willl try to get the # tommorow at work for ya. They work great. They have metal on both sides and then fiber in the middle. they are almost a 1/4" thick.

when you can get the carquest part # that would be great , because wife told me tonight that it is loud again, bolts seem to be drawing outward ,threads are good , , i will get a carquest gasket + hi temp sealant and try it , i have 2 spare turbo pipes , if i change the turbo pipe can i make the pipe bigger ? custom made , will this increase hp ? etc......