Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car is an 05 Saab 92x, which is a rebadged Subaru Impreza wagon. I have the NA 2.5L engine. I have been lurking here for a while and the technical expertise here is superb. It's a 5MT if that helps.

During a recent road trip from Seattle to Denver, I noticed that the coolant temperature was about 45 degrees warmer than normal (according to my ScanGauge) after driving for an extended period of time. ~ 225 degrees. The outside temperature was in the low to mid 30's all the way there. Of course, I was driving over mountain passes. I thought nothing of it since I had never driven more than ~30 miles one way in the car before. The car was not overheating at all since the gauge in the car was around 2/3 of the way to the red marks.

For the return trip home, the outside temperatures were in the 70's and 80's. Guess what? The coolant temperature was ~180 degrees the whole time. This is standard temperature that I have seen in moderate to hot weather. It was a slightly different route on the return trip, but still plenty of high elevation driving.

I have noticed when I drive my usual 30 miles commute in cold weather here, the coolant temperate is ~ 190 degrees. That is ~ 10 degrees higher than when the outside temperature is more moderate.

Is this normal behavior? I am going for my 7,500 mile service in a few days and I can have the dealer check it out. Thanks.

Here is my qyestion for you, forget the scantool, what is the temp gauge on the dashboard telling you. If you go to a dealer, he will check for codes, maybe take the car for a test drive, but if the temp gauge is staying within the normal operating range, there isnt much he can do.

One thing you may be overlooking, is the incline of the road. Climbing a steeper road to the same height as a road with a more gentle incline, the engine will run hotter. Another thing to consdier is if you had a head wind or a tail wind. Also how much stuff was in the car.

To me, if the temp gauge on the dashboard is reflecting these temp changes on the scan tool, and is still in the normal operating range, i would say everything is normal.

nipper

Only thing I can figure is that Subaru (and all SAAB's too?) have the thermo located at the point where the coolant returns to the block whereas the ECU temp sender is closer to the outlet. I'm guessing the higher reading at lower ambient is normal.

**** ******!

Only thing I can figure is that Subaru (and all SAAB's too?) have the thermo located at the point where the coolant returns to the block whereas the ECU temp sender is closer to the outlet. I'm guessing the higher reading at lower ambient is normal.

**** ******!

This is true. The thermostate is on the bottom of the engine, and the temp sensors (gauge and computer) are on top.

nipper

I can only tell you that in my subaru, with hwy driving in mild/hot climate, the temp is exactly 180F. The highest I have seen was 212F with prolonged idling. I never checked in freezing conditions, though. However, 2/3 of temp gauge sounds high to me. Normally, should be 1/3 to 1/2 of the scale. Though Saab may have different gauges?

BTW, is it more cost effective to buy subaru rebadged as saab? Can you service it at subaru dealer? (:-)

My guess is your coolant is not topped off or not topped off properly.

I had this in my 01 Forester.

I'm now convinced it was an air bubble in the cooling system.

Check you coolant! or let the Subaru guys do it at your service appt.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester