Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My passenger side floorboard is soaked from a leak. It's a rain issue and not from heater core or anything. I do have a sunroof, but wouldn't think it is from that, as I had a clogged sunroof drain this past summer and that leak wasnoticably a roof issue. During a steady rain, I could see water dripping from the bottom far right side of the dash, which makes sense why there's no water at the top of the floorboard up near the firewall and just on the center part of the floor. Is this more than likely the result of a leaky windshield seal? I hate having to deal with water logged carpet, but even moreso I hate the thought of my dash getting swelled with water. Thanks for any input from those who have dealt with a leak before. By the way, the car is a 95 Legacy wagon.

My passenger side floorboard is soaked from a leak. It's a rain issue and not from heater core or anything. I do have a sunroof, but wouldn't think it is from that, as I had a clogged sunroof drain this past summer and that leak wasnoticably a roof issue. During a steady rain, I could see water dripping from the bottom far right side of the dash, which makes sense why there's no water at the top of the floorboard up near the firewall and just on the center part of the floor. Is this more than likely the result of a leaky windshield seal? I hate having to deal with water logged carpet, but even moreso I hate the thought of my dash getting swelled with water. Thanks for any input from those who have dealt with a leak before. By the way, the car is a 95 Legacy wagon.

Make sure the cowl drains are clear. The cowl is the area where the windshield wiper arms attach to the wiper transmission (those nubby things that the wiper arms attach to) on both sides. If you let a garden hose run over the windshield, you'll see that the water drains into the cowl at the base of the windshield. The water should then be seen draining out of the rear, lower edge of both front fenders. The cowl drains can become plugged with leaves, pine needles, etc. If the cowl area doesn't drain properly, you'll have flooded front floor(s).

• 4 months later...

I have a RHD 93 Legacy Turbo Estate (which I guess you call a 'wagon').

Had water coming in to foot well and soaking carpets.

Had to take dashboard out (don't panic!) before I found the cause...you shouldn't need to if yours is leaking in from the same place:

On both driver and passenger side there is a wiring loom between the body and the door. This loom is covered initially with a rubber glove which corrodes and splits. Unhappily the loom comes from higher up the door than its entrance into the body. Rain water, especially when it's heavy, is guided to run down between the door and body right over these wiring looms. So split loom = water dripping into cab.

I removed the side panels adjacent to outside leg ankle height which reveals a cut out in the body where connectors are stuffed, (it certainly looks like that), so pulled out the connectors which reveal the grommet allowing entrance of the wiring loom from the door.

Disconnect the plugs and work the grommet out, (it comes out easily). I used a rejected inner tube from a bycicle? to re-sleeve the loom sealing it with silicon before replacing.

That's the easy part. Now you have to repair the corroded connectors where the water has been dripping. Some are OK with scraping and spraying with WD40 others I had to by-pass with pluggable crimped connectors.

Hope this helps:rolleyes:

I have a RHD 93 Legacy Turbo Estate (which I guess you call a 'wagon').

Had water coming in to foot well and soaking carpets.

Had to take dashboard out (don't panic!) before I found the cause

i'm always impressed whan somone says they had the dashbaord out one of the few things that intimidate me.

nipper