Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you want an EJ22, why not get a Legacy?

Did Noah build that? Its sick.... :slobber::headbang:

As Northguy said, that'd be Austin, but i put the neat lights on the front.

I like what Tycho was hinting at, I wanna get a hatchback and do a complete STi or WRX drivetrain swap, with bolt on go fast bits, and the weight savings alone, that car would be dang sexy.

Well I love most things about my 87 gl 4WD DR wagon EXCEPT the power-torque, so yes I want to sling a ej22 motor in it.......except I hate working on cars. So I have to find someone to do it and those guys are RARE. Someone in Michagan does them, that's a long way to drive from southern oregon just to get a motor put in and I know I could figure it out but... am way too back logged in my own business projects. I know there is a guy in Eugene that could do it but he seems to be running hot and cold after he says yes, that doesn't sound fun. So hopefully I'll run into the right guy. Cheers Pesky

As Northguy said, that'd be Austin, but i put the neat lights on the front.

I like what Tycho was hinting at, I wanna get a hatchback and do a complete STi or WRX drivetrain swap, with bolt on go fast bits, and the weight savings alone, that car would be dang sexy.

Not to mention the best car ever built:headbang:

Well, I guess I should have known the answer I'd get on this board, "it's the car to have", why not get a bit more power for it since it's fairly easy to do.

I like mine, but it's a little underpowered. We have the '88 with the spfi that I want to toss in the '86, I just want to verify the compression ratio of the '86. I've heard they're different "for sure", but I've also read that they are the same. Just bought the Subaru FSM's, should be here in the next few days.

Monte

I like mine, but it's a little underpowered. We have the '88 with the spfi that I want to toss in the '86, I just want to verify the compression ratio of the '86. I've heard they're different "for sure", but I've also read that they are the same. Just bought the Subaru FSM's, should be here in the next few days.

the CR is different between the 88 and the 86 - however it is inconsiquential - I installed the SPFI system form a 1988 DL into my 1985 GL, and depite the difference between the 9.5:1 CR in the 88, and the 9:1 in the 85, the FI system runs beautifully, and has plenty of power

the CR is different between the 88 and the 86 - however it is inconsiquential - I installed the SPFI system form a 1988 DL into my 1985 GL, and depite the difference between the 9.5:1 CR in the 88, and the 9:1 in the 85, the FI system runs beautifully, and has plenty of power

So, is this page wrong? It says both at 9.5:1. Any additional power would be better than what it has now.

Monte

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/specs/general/1986glwa.html

Interesting thread. I own both AE82 ('92 Loyale) and EJ22 ('00 Impreza Brighton). Well, actually I gave the Impreza to my g/f because she need a reliable daily driver and I bought a cheap (600$) sedan Loyale as a beater for winter. Well, I really liked the Impreza. I did some mods on the suspension as it now has 2.5 coil springs, KYB GR-2 shocks and WRX rear sway bar with 16in wheels. So overall the handling of a WRX minus the weight. I'd say, as a ''all year long'' driver I'd take the Impreza because it is much more fun in summer as it is more powerful, has better handling and feels stronger. But for winter I prefer the Loyale as it has a 4WD instead of an AWD. And as I paid 600$ (compare to 11'500$ for the Impreza) I'm not afraid at all to wreck the car. I do stuff with the Loyale I'd never do with the Impreza. Well, in fact I'm having so much fun with the Loyale this winter that I'm thinking of buying another old Soob for next winter. The one I have is rather crap and I always liked the Brat, so if I can find a Brat... Maybe I'd prefer an older Soob for summer if I had a Brat or a RX/II, but for now, I'd say I can't compare a car that is 8 years older than another one. I really like the Loyale. It is crap, but I like it. It is just that... when I get in the Impreza it is like getting in a Cadillac compared to the Loyale. A Cadillac with quite a sporty handling thought...

So overall... EA82 in winter as they are cheap and 4WD. So more fun in the snow since I just don't care much about the car. EJ22 car (Impreza or Legacy) as a daily driver for comfort, performance and a car that feels stronger than the average compact car.

Subaru should just have continued making 4WD. They should have put a tranny like the coupe RX available for EJ22... that would have been awesome.