Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you want an EJ22, why not get a Legacy?

or something else with that engine in it? Not trying to stir the pot, but just curious. Is it just a cash issue? I suppose it could be that for some. We have an '86 and an '88 GL wagon. The '86 only has 130k on it. I'm thinking about dropping the spfi system from the '88 onto the '86 engine. Now I'm looking around at the EA82/EJ22 swaps and thinking about doing that at some point. But I'm asking myself, why not just find a good deal on a Legacy wagon and drive that?

Maybe it's something like my wife is going through, she bought the '88 new. She's put over 350k on it. We dropped a "japanese import" engine in it a couple years ago, so that engine has less than 200k on it. It developed the TOD shortly after the warranty ran out, but we're still driving it, but never very far from home.

Monte

I've build up my 88DL to where i want it, and when the motor started leaking too much oil for my tastes, i decided, why not get the best of both worlds?

So now i have the best that the EA series has to offer, and the best that the EJ series has to offer, all in one neat package.

well for me it was about the same price for me to throw in a EJ22 into my car as it was to pay someone to put in a rebuilt or JDM EA82 to replace the motor. it only blew HG's, but i wanted to do a rebuild on it and i couldnt find any rod/main bearings kits, so i looked on here, and low and behold, people put the legacy/impreza engine into a car just like mine. and if you have to strip the SPFI harness down to get the engine only wires, why not spend a little more money and time to get a motor with 40-50 more HP and torque?

~Josh~

Dual Range 4WD (lower gearing).

Higher ground clearance in stock form.

Less ameneties = less stuff to break (especially off road).

Lots of parts / parts cars availible for next to nothing.

And of course it has a lot to do with doing something simply because you can. For those who do that sort of converions Subaru's are a hobby. If I just wanted to drive it, then sure - I would buy a brand new one and make payments. I'm a mechanic, and I enjoy this sort of thing. If I do a conversion it's because the car probably has some sentimental value, and because it's a fun project, and I might learn something. That's is more valueable to me than just driving a legacy and calling it good.

Because if I was a multimillionaire I'd drive a GL-10 on a daily basis. There Legacy, although admittedly an important car for Subaru in that it brought them upmarket, isn't as comfortable or practical for me as an EA82 series wagon.

Right on Andrew!! I am with ya all the way...Love the EA82 series wagons!

I hate to be the dissenting opinion here but I'll add my two cents. If you want to drop an EJ22 into your EA81 or EA82 vehicle, feel free to do that. I wouldn't stop you and I think it's cool that you can do it. It's not a choice I would make for myself since I have enough projects. However, having driven an '86 GL for over 10 years (and loved it) and still driving (and loving it) my '84 Brat, I finally upgraded to a '91 Legacy wagon for my daily driver. Having worked on all three generations fairly extensively, I find the Legacy the easiest to work on. I can change an axle on my old GL in less than an hour; I did my first axle change on my Legacy in less than 20 minutes....no special puller needed, no hassle pushing the splined shaft out of the hub. I had to replace the engine in my Legacy recently and two of us did that job in just a little over 5 hours. I was amazed how easy it was to get the PS pump and A/C out of the way and unplugging the engine harness with just 3 connectors. Almost every job that I've done on my older cars seems easier on my Legacy. And the handling.....My old GL couldn't compare to my Legacy. Just needed to add my two cents worth. Sorry for the rant.

I like the ea series cars, they are light, and with enough modifications, time, and some money, they can be as good as any. But bypass all the time effort and money and buy a legacy, or impreza. You will do just as well. If you really do fall into a position that it is cheaper and easier to put an ej motor into your car, why not, best of both worlds.

600 lb curb weight advantage in a Loyale/GL wagon vs a Legacy/Impreza? At least?

Gonna end up with better economy and performance.

Curb weight is the most important factor for all aspects of performance (acceleration, braking, handling). Anything over 2800 lbs or so is just disgusting to drive.

I have to disagree on handling. Maintenance on an EA82 is also cheaper, as is the initial buy-in cost. And tires are around $100 for a set of 155-series snows and not much more for 185-series street tires. Visibility can't be beat and it's a much more manageable and justifiable sized car for me--sure, I don't *need* a station wagon, but I prefer it. At the same time, I don't want anything approaching the size of an SUV, and a Legacy has nearly the same footprint (though certainly not the height and sloppiness) of a Blazer or Explorer.

Nor does the Leg offer a digital dashboard, easily maintained turbo engine (parts-wise), dual range 4WD, GL-10 quality upholstery unless you get leather...basically I'd be trading everything I like about the EA82 series for a lousy cupholder. I think that the Legacy is better than the average car, by a long shot. I even had a '93 wagon for a while, and it was an okay car. But I didn't especially like it, let alone love it.

I'm not putting those of you down who have a Legacy, because you're obviously being much more practical than I am in owning one. But I'll stand by my EA82s (and earlier) until the seat falls through the rust in the floorpan.

So with that logic, a 3,351 lbs WRX STI would be disgusting to drive?

As compared to WJM's GL-10? Yeah, according to him. That's why he got rid of his Imp.

I'd take a GL-10 wagon over a new STi any day, and I have driven both.Maybe if I was a rally racer I'd reconsider...then again maybe not.

Sadly, Not to many of us can afford a $32,000 monster with 300HP that does 0-60 in 4.6 and still have enough to pay for insurance.

And even if we all did, there are some of us who love the styling, handling, layout, look, feel, interface, simplicity, and technical beauty of their EA82s.

I have been looking lately at newer legacys and Imprezas..just for the reason that my beloved Bucky needs some down time to catch up with his electrical gremlins and the onslot of New England rust (which he didnt have 2 and a half years ago when i bought him). My other reason for loving the EA82s is being super low income ( for this area since everything is so expensive) I HAVE to watch every dime. My Loyale is super cheap to maintain and drive. Specially with the gas prices. There probably isnt a newer car made that isnt a hybrid that gets the mileage I do.Granted I dont drive far(about 15 miles a day on average). But $10 in gas gets me at least 2 weeks. I would love to finally own a Subie with 4WD or AWD but dont want to keep having to feed it.My FWD gets me through about anything with good snows on the front.

Plus the EA82 wagons are just so "ME"..I feel like the car was designed around someone like me.

I do have to agree with the features of the EA82; the d/r tranny is nicer than my AWD; the gas consumption is better since the car is lighter; overall maintenance costs over the long term might be lower (heaven help me if I need to replace an IAC; but a one belt replacement for the timing belt is so much easier than two). However, for a daily driver which isn't going into the woods, or such (I have my Brat for that), I still prefer my Legacy.

I think the bottom line ends up being personal preferance - I would NEVER trade my EA82 for a Legacy - they are not even comporable cars because of the size difference - the Impreza is more comporable, but I STILL prefer my EA82 wagon - and yes, I do a LOT of city and highway driving. The EA82 is cheaper all-round (fuel, maitnence, etc.), and I prefer my D/R 4WD to AWD any day of the week. Parts are cheaper, the car is very easy to work on (no serpentine belt), and it has character. The EA82's aren't nearly as common as the Legacys are, and they a bit more individual style-wise. Not to mention the fact that you can customize them to your heart's desire because they had such a wide variety of accessories available, almost all of which are interchangeable over the 9-year production of the car. There is an abundance of underhood space for servicing them because the spare tire IS under the hood - that makes life VERY easy for me.

Realize also, that because this is in the old-gen forumn - that there are not going to be nearly as many legacy supporters as EA82 supporters posting here .....

So with that logic, a 3,351 lbs WRX STI would be disgusting to drive?

Yes...almost as bad as a 3000GT/300ZX/SVX (I've driven 2 of those 3). Don't know if you've ever tried one or not. /looks for vomit smiley. My buddy LOVES his Stealth RT/TT. Ran a 13.54 bone stock just this fall (it's a 94 with 105,000 miles on it to boot). It feels like driving a fast Suburban to me. Different strokes for different folks.

Try out something light with ITBs sometime and it will sour you on those piggy turbo (and in the SVX's case non turbo...but autotragic) cars forever.

Consider the STi's engine and brakes on an EA81/82 car. I think there's little question that the 6-700 lb advantage combined with equal HP and braking hardware would result in a sizeable performance advantage. I mean...they haven't done anything magical with the suspension on the Impreza (nothing special in light of all the late 80s hondas with 4 wheel double wishbone, 300zx with HiCas, etc)...and it certainly doesn't have much (if any) more interior room than my EA82 wagon. How do they justify the extra blubber?

I'm in the process of doing just what you questioned, stripping a usable legacy to put it's engine into a EA82 wagon. The legacy is a great car, and I will argue anyone into the floor who says they are not capable offroad. The interior is nicer and more modern, the radio bay is the right size for afermarket ones. They are queiter on the highway. Lots of nice things about legacys, but they just don't suit me. I don't like the way they look. Lift kits are new and expensive, and the tranny doesn't have low range.

About handleing: I feel more in controll in my lifted loyale than in my dad's 95 legacy. I can't pinpoint what it is, but I feel better. The suspension is built stronger in the legacy's I belive, no strut rod, just a solid A arm.

The seating position is perfect in the EA82 wagons. Nice and upright, like a pickup truck seat. I can't stand low and leaning back, I always end up sitting with my back off the back of the seat.