Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 RANDOM stalling problem, phantom!

i have a 95 legacy, awd, auto. 2.2.

thing runs awesome. for the most part.

i can drive the thing for 2 hours and wont have a problem, other times i have problems just around town.

basically, the engine will RANDOMLY want to just die. if i give it some gas it will stay running. sometimes it will do this 4-5 times in a short period, and not do it again for an hour, or again in the next minute. its weird.

i can't develop any real pattern to it which is keeping me from really troubleshooting. it happens mostly around crusing rpm's, so in the 2-3k range i would say, but not everytime its in that speed range, its entirely random. it happens in all gears, and does not matter when hot or cold. sometimes it will try to stop when the car comes to a stop. its so random. i get no codes related to this.

thanks in advance for any insight or ideas to check.

this is a simmiliar thread, but not much to it: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30894&highlight=stalling

My first guess is fuel pump or fuel pump relay

If you could connect a fuel pressure gauge with a line into the cockpit it would help.

Might be a bit precarious having a charged fuel line in the cockpit?

Another out of the box idea is to properly (active word) connect

an 1/8th" NPT Tee after the fuel filter.

To do this connect two fuel line hose barbs to the Tee

then an oil pressure switch (for a dash idiot light). These can withstand

gas and oil pressures much higher than the fuel system pressure.

Use fuel line hose clamps and splice it in line with the output

from the filter. If you add a short length of line make sure it is fuel injection hose.

Total cost should be less than 20 GWs.

Drain the fuel system pressure before making the splice.

A 12 volt light wired in series with the switch will light when the fuel pressure is near zero.

If this coincides with the stall then pursue the above entities.

Hope this helps.

Note: this may trigger a barrage from the nabobs of negativism but I have used it in the past to prove

a fuel related problem.

My first guess is fuel pump or fuel pump relay

Note: this may trigger a barrage from the nabobs of negativism but I have used it in the past to prove

a fuel related problem.

Some people are so paranoid. :)

I think its the ignitor. The ignitor can drive you up the wall with something like this, i know i had it happen to me, then i just said screw it, let me try it (everything else checked out). The problem went away.

nipper