Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can anyone living in northeast pa lend a hand? my impreza stalled on me the other day after making an odd noise for a week it stalled on me and then the noise just got worse...its kinda like a screeching/grinding noise coming from the center of the engine i was thinking waterpump but my coolant is still full no leaks and my temp is still the same...the car even started bak up an ran fine but i didnt wanna run it too much incase it would ruin something.....i called the garage that i bought it from and they came and towed it away to the shop... that being friday and today being monday i called to see if they know whats wrong yet and they have no explanation.....this aint no subaru dealership just some private mechanic/collision center they do it all.....if anybody has any help in diagnosting what this could be or perhaps is relatively close to jim thorpe pennsylvania...i dont have much money being a student although i can work on getting u what you'd need to fix the prob and a decent amount of money to do so, id rather pay one of you guys the money then some car sales man trying to make a sale.....if anyones up for the challenge or just provide a little help id appreciate it....

i previously had someone say it could be the bearings on an older thread but hopefully thats not the matter or else i'd have a fist full of bills to pay for labor

sounds like a bearing is going bad.

unfortunately the most likely source is a timing belt bearing. hard to say without being there, but that's my guess. new timing belt (the old one will be overheated and compromised) and probably at least one new timing pulley. i live close to gettysburg, PA and could do it for you but i'm doubtful you're anywhere near me.

would the power steering problem cause the car to stall?

and how hard would it be for me to do it myself...imnot a mechanic but i have a decent head on my shoulders and would probably be able to figure it out haha or maybe i wouldnt..you let me know

like i sayd if anyone has some time i'd pay ya

Try the following (since i cant be there to hear the noise)

If you can get the car to start, look at all rotating parts in the front end. Check your PS fluid level first. Turn on the AC and make sure everything is rotating at the same speed as the belt driving it. Next Spay some water on the belts to see if it has any effect on the noise. Take a long screwdriver and carefully put the handle to your ear as you put the other end to the alternator housing, AC compressor housing, and PS housing. IF you cant hear the noise out of any of these three this way, you have to assume its deeper in the engine.

Waterpumps rarely make a noise before they go, and if the do usually it means they are going to self destruct in the next 5 minutes.

If all the other tests pass, i would agree with the others as it being a timing belt drive issue.

How many miles are on this car?

nipper

ha thats def the case nipper...i dont wanna pop off the cover without knowin what the hell im doing.....the car has 140,000 miles on it im not sure when the timing belt was last changed so im guessing it probably would have to do with the tensioners...i called the mechanic yesterday and he didnt find out whats wrong yet im going to call him today to see whats up...if he still doesnt know then ill call up a local subaru dealership and see if they could tell me whats wrong by a detailed description maybe they've had a case like this before.....haha i'll def try the water gun test once i get home...and let u guys know

its a 93 impreza fwd 140,000 miles

once it warms up im gonna start working on the car learning the basic mechanical repairs step by step....its too cold to work on it now and i have no garage to take it to...this summer i can bring it to work with me..i got a bunch of buddys down there that know about jeeps and trucks but never had a subaru before...

got some news he says it was a gear in with the timing belt that got trashed...so i told him to go head and replace the timing belt with the gear...its gonna cost roughly $275 hows that sound?

actually thats a good price.

if he does good work keep this guy :)

nipper

ive never had JUST a timing belt replaced. Last time it was on my 98 legacy

Timing belt

the adjuster thingy

water pump

oil pump reseal

cam seals

Main seal

and needed a gear ( i forget which)

it wa$ about 750 becau$e two of the part$ were dealer item$.

Usually when you get a timing belt done, you do the waterpump too at the very least, then if you have the money you do the seals, because they will leak sometime in the next 80-100K miles (depending upon your service interval).

nipper