Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey, my heater isn't working right (92 legacy wagon) No matter which button i hit on the controll it just keeps channeling all the air through the defroster on the dash. My feet are getting really cold! It's 20 below here in ak. Was just curious if anyone knew whay this is happening (fuse,?) I have no clue where to start, electronicly illeterate

do a search for heat in the old and new generation forums, this kind of question has been covered often.

i'd start with the buttons, pull them apart and see if the contacts are faulty inside.

i've never had this issue before so i'll let someone else try to give you hints. it's all behind the dash though, the door opening/closing mechanism to channel the air so i can't imagine it would be that hard to figure out with a little looking around once you know the buttons are good.

if it's working, but stuck on defrost i highly doubt it's fuse related.

Check all the vaccum lines, and vacum canister under the hood (looks like a small black ball i think). What has happaned is that for some reason you lost vacum or control button function. The system is vacum operated.The defrost mode is the default mode for saftey reasons.

nipper