Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Legacy Transfer Case Problem

When the engine is warm, there is a jerk on acceleration and a shuddering before reaching about 25 mph. I'm told the transfer case needs to be replaced. Is this true?

I bought the car about 1 1/2 years ago and have no idea if proper maintenance was done. I'm not even sure what maintenance is required on the transfer case.

A local Midas shop isn't able to find a rebuilt, used or new one, so I might have to junk the car. Thanks.

They can't find a tranfer case for the car? Hmmm that's weird. Oh yeah, there isn't one. Might recommend a different shop that knows Subes a little better.

I would recommend getting caught up on the reg. maintenace stuff, ie. plugs wires, filters etc. Is there a CEL? Change the trans fluid and the rear diff. fluid. See if any of this helps.

Beezer

Thank you. So this car does not have a transfer case? What is a CEL? I'll try the fluid change ASAP.

They can't find a tranfer case for the car? Hmmm that's weird. Oh yeah, there isn't one. Might recommend a different shop that knows Subes a little better.

I would recommend getting caught up on the reg. maintenace stuff, ie. plugs wires, filters etc. Is there a CEL? Change the trans fluid and the rear diff. fluid. See if any of this helps.

Beezer

CEL=Check Engine Light

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to say it doesn't have a transfer case. If you have a 4hi and 4 low 2wd then yes you would have a tranfer case. If it is AWD all the time then no you don't have a tranfer case. I'm guessing the legacy's are pretty much the same around the world.

Beezer

OK, first of all, try to stay as far away from Midas as possible. Why? The Midas touch: everything they touch turns to gold - for them. I'm sure there's some honest ones somewhere, but not that I've ever heard of.

There is no "transfer case". What you need to do is get the car to someone who know Subarus.

If you do want to give up on the car, I'd love to take it off your hands! I need a Legacy donor for my engine swap.

Thanks for all the good advice. It's automatic, all-wheel drive. The Check Engine Light has come on occasionally, but is usually off. Midas (again) did a diagnostic last summer and said there was probably a faulty sensor. I'm not sure what is meant by forward fuse.

Its automatic. What the car has is a clutch pack, and a tranny shop or dealer can deal with it. Sometimes its cheaper to fins a low mileage used tranny.

Do a search on here for torque bind. 90% of the time a tranny flush fixes the problem, but it has to be a complete flush, not just chanining what is in the pan.

nipper