Ultimate Subaru Message Board

^%$#^%$ Swaybars!

Well now I've run into a problem with my 5-lug conversion. Its not really having to do with the conversion itself though. I got the XT6 swaybars to upgrade from my RX swaybars and now I can't seem for the life of me, get the front one in. The original came out pretty easily and I made sure they were the same (minus diameter) but it won't bolt in for some reason. I've tried it with both wheels off the ground and one wheel of the ground and both wheels on the ground but the most i can get bolted up is one side and the two bolts that hold it to the crossmember. Whats the best way to do this? The back one seems pretty straight forward but the front is a pain in my @$$!

i have the same problem, i put WRX stuff up front with XT6 lower control arms. when i put the XT6 front bar on, it is a very tight fit. but i did get it to go on. but it rubbes the control arms a bit when going over bumps.

if you shed some light on this i would like to know, as for now i will just deal with it...

-=Suberdave=-

The front swaybar on mine was a serious pain as well. Eventually just wrestled it into submission.

My car is too low to do it with both wheels on the ground, so I put the car on ramps. Much easier.

Still haven't gotten the rear one in yet. That was being a serious pain and I haven't had enough time to bully it in there.

The front swaybar on mine was a serious pain as well. Eventually just wrestled it into submission.

My car is too low to do it with both wheels on the ground, so I put the car on ramps. Much easier.

Still haven't gotten the rear one in yet. That was being a serious pain and I haven't had enough time to bully it in there.

yeah thats the problem with mine as it sits too close to the ground even for me to wiggle under there and get it in. Unfortunatly, my ramps are still in Oregon so I guess its time to invest in a new set from Wal-Mart...

I've had to use a floor jack to push the sway bar up to the right spot to get the holes to line up.

I got an idea about the front sway bars on these cars. Is there any reason why I couldnt make a two piece sway bar system? You'd still have the "articulation" in the front, but it would stop some of the lean on lifted rights.

Instead of being a one piece all the way across, I'd cut out the middle section and just run the outer pieces in their original spot. Would this work?

Instead of being a one piece all the way across, I'd cut out the middle section and just run the outer pieces in their original spot. Would this work?

no, it wouldn't - the swaybar is essientially a torsion-bar, and if you cut it, you destroy the tempered nature of it, and you seriously weaken it

I really don't have any magic hints I would recommend - my technique is too dangerous for me to recommend, and still go to sleep tonight

Was the XT6 an Automatic trans maybe? On the older body cars theres a clearance issue using the Auto swaybar on the MT car. Maybe similar on the next bodystyle newer?

I actually don't know since I bought these swaybars from baccaruda awhile ago when I got my control arms. He got them for me out of a yard in Washington. My RX however started out as an automatic car (4EAT) which I have swapped to the FT 4wd d/r RX tranny. I don't see any differences between the manual EA82's and the automatics on the underneath.

i have hard that the GL-10 wagon rear sway bar is the largest sway bar ever put on an EA82, even larger than the XT6... anyone know for sure?

-=Suberdave=-

GL-10 rears are supposed to be 16 mil diameter, XT6 has 20 mil diameter rears if it is 4WD (smaller for 2WD cars - think it is 16 or 18)

swaybar difficulty has everything to do with how new/tight the swaybar bushings are - and that they are the correct size