Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumb thing to do..Cigarette lighter Help please !

I need help figuring out, my cigarette lighter (which I use to power my iPod since I do not smoke) died today ( I will explain how underneath should you care). I checked the fuse in the fuse box (15A, third from the top), and it was ok. Changed it anyhow, and it still does not work.

It worked flawlessely before my gf left the pool with her hair wet, decided it was too cold (- 18), and had the brilliant idea of plugging her blowdryer to the converter I have in the trunk for emergencies. She said it simply stopped working.

Now the lighter wont power up anything.

Help appreciated.

93 Legacy L Wagon

4wd

5 speed

Thanks

Sounds like the socket or the plug wire behind it got fried before the fuse had a chance to blow. You'll have to get in behind or remove it and check.

Do I need to remove the entire panel, or is it accessible easily ?

Cheers

JF

well i had to do that with my 94 legacy wagon.you need to pull the radio out and access it that way.flat head screw driver to loosen the retainer ring and it should just come right out after you disconnect the wire.

look at the back of the assembly,you should see a L-shaped wire.on mine it was busted.

It worked flawlessely before my gf left the pool with her hair wet, decided it was too cold (- 18), and had the brilliant idea of plugging her blowdryer to the converter I have in the trunk for emergencies. She said it simply stopped working.

There's something fishy about that story. I mean, how can you swim in a swimming pool in -18 degree C ? It would have been frozen over if it was outdoor, and if it was an indoor pool, couldn't your gf use the blowdryer at the location that had an 120VAC outlet? :rolleyes::)

There's something fishy about that story. I mean, how can you swim in a swimming pool in -18 degree C ? It would have been frozen over if it was outdoor, and if it was an indoor pool, couldn't your gf use the blowdryer at the location that had an 120VAC outlet? :rolleyes::)

Well, unless you get out of the indoor pool and go out, then realize, damn, its cold and I dont want to go back in !!!

Of course, I am starting to bald and am completely shaved, so it wont apply to me !

I recall something kooky from the manual for my 96OBW re: the cig lighter - Basically it said if you use the cig lighter for anything other than a cig lighter (i.e. plug an electrical device into it) it ceases to work as a cig lighter from that point on. The actual input socket is reshapen and becomes useless for anything other than an electrical device with a car plug adapter. So, it's nothing electrical behind the socket, it's the socket itself that's screwed up.

I recall something kooky from the manual for my 96OBW re: the cig lighter - Basically it said if you use the cig lighter for anything other than a cig lighter (i.e. plug an electrical device into it) it ceases to work as a cig lighter from that point on. The actual input socket is reshapen and becomes useless for anything other than an electrical device with a car plug adapter. So, it's nothing electrical behind the socket, it's the socket itself that's screwed up.

No's it a standard 12volt socket. I've run different inverters from it all the time. But it is limited to a certain power draw. The rear of the socket has a "bridge" wire that acts very much like a fuse, and sensitive to heat, and appears to "blow" easier than the inline fuse at the fuse block.

No's it a standard 12volt socket. I've run different inverters from it all the time. But it is limited to a certain power draw. The rear of the socket has a "bridge" wire that acts very much like a fuse, and sensitive to heat, and appears to "blow" easier than the inline fuse at the fuse block.

Doesn't that seem bizzarre or at least poor design? by nature a fuse is designed to protect a system. either subaru should have spec'd a lower amp fuse or beefed up that wire behind the socket if they want to let people run hi-watt stuff.

Doesn't that seem bizzarre or at least poor design? by nature a fuse is designed to protect a system. either subaru should have spec'd a lower amp fuse or beefed up that wire behind the socket if they want to let people run hi-watt stuff.
It provides extra fire protection because this socket is designed for a cigarette lighter, which sometimes get stuck. I do not believe that the utility socket in the rear cargo area has this "bridge wire." When the "bridge wire" burned out on my socket, I replaced it with copper wire rather than 60/40 solder. I do not have a cigarette lighter, hence no real danger of fire behind the dash.

The problem is that cigarette lighter plugs were never designed as 12 volt electrical sockets. Everyone uses them as such, but it's a bad idea. Because they are illegal in houses (and dangerous) we use 240 volt 20 amp sockets instead for the 12VDC (which actually meets NEC code if there is no 240vac present in the house). For an Ipod, I'd use an RCA plug for the DC power connection. It'll handle up to about 3 amps easily. And if you're going to be running 1500 watts from an inverter in the car, I'd hard wire it to the batteries with #2AWG cable though.... that's what my truck has for its inverter (though I would still never use a hairdryer from it... I never do in my house either)

The problem is that cigarette lighter plugs were never designed as 12 volt electrical sockets. Everyone uses them as such, but it's a bad idea. Because they are illegal in houses (and dangerous) we use 240 volt 20 amp sockets instead for the 12VDC (which actually meets NEC code if there is no 240vac present in the house). For an Ipod, I'd use an RCA plug for the DC power connection. It'll handle up to about 3 amps easily. And if you're going to be running 1500 watts from an inverter in the car, I'd hard wire it to the batteries with #2AWG cable though.... that's what my truck has for its inverter (though I would still never use a hairdryer from it... I never do in my house either)

Your right on connecting to the battery for large inverters.

The largest inverter I have ever seen that had a 12volt socket plug was 400watts (30amp DC capacity draw), anything higher will have allegator clips for direct connection to the battery because of the amperage draw. I use a 350watt inverter (25 to 26 DC amps at full load) and I know Im at/beyond the cigarette's socket capacity and have blown the bridge wire on the back of the socket. And that doesn't even take into consideration, peak or instantaneaous amperage when a device or load is first applied (turned on) that can be much higher.

I have a 95 legacy (manual). There are two screws on top of the center console in front of the parking brake. You can remove them and pop off the center console covers. You can then remove your cup holder and remove the 2 screws on either side. You should be able to pop out the lower plastic trim cover that holds the socket. Of course you need to remove the ashtray. The Haynes/Chilton manuals show the detail. You might not have to remove the radio. I was able to access the socket and the wiring assemblies attached to it. I found this out by accident when I was replacing my climate control lights and popped out the lighter socket trim and couldn't get it back in place.

Good Luck.