Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a problem

Going to work this morning..car running good. Then i thought i smelled an electrical type smell, and the car quit. Turns over but dont fire.All lights work. Could it have been the timing belt burning up. Maybey a burnt rubber smell?Also is there some fuseable links on these? Any ideas were to start looking would be great..thanks!

could easily be the timing belts, i think you've made a good guess. pull the left and right covers, they come off quick and easy. look for bad belt. you can also remove the distributor cap to see if the distributor is turning. if it's not then the drivers side tbelt is broke. if you hear a "slapping" noise while cranking that's a broken timing belt flopping around, but doesn't always do that and might be a little dangerous if it wraps around something it shouldn't. if it is a broken belt, replace and you're good to go. fusible links are next to the battery in most soobs i've seen in a roughly 1 inch by 4 inch size black box. pull the top and have a look at the 4 or 5 fusible links in there.

If the pass. side belt broke will the dist. still turn? Ill take a look tonight as i got to get to ework..thanks for your help.

yes, the distributor is only driven by the drivers side cam, independent of the passengers side cam and belt.

but i think yo'ure way ahead of me anyway, with the smell and all sounds like you might be onto something i just don't know what.

how about the fuses inside the cabin? those will make a popping noise when they blow as well, definitely an audible pop when they blow sometimes. i'd look at those.

did you check for spark yet?

Also I looked at a few past posts and saw a post about removing the timing belt covers for good..is that true?
It depends on who you ask as to whether or not they say it is a good thing to run without them - I saw an engine in the JY once that had picked up a stone on a T-belt and jammed it into the oil pump assy, obliterating the belt and damaging the oil pump assy, so I run with them - others will still fight to the ground saying they are unnecessary.....

it is easier to do the T-belt replacement if you don't have the covers; but the replacement interval is 60k anyway, so it isn't THAT big a deal whether you have the covers or not

After closer inspection it was the fuel pump fuse.Replaced it and fired up. We will see what happens. On another note,what is the # for the single bulb,dual element headlight bulb?

9004 - I like Xtra Vision by Sylvania

The problem with the covers is that sometimes the nut on the back cover will just spin in the plastic, which makes it very hard to remove the bolts on the front covers. Usually you end up breaking that piece on the cover and if you break enough of them off, it makes it hard to keep the cover on. So, replacing the covers becomes a option. If you live in the city or suburb, having covers off isnt a problem IMO. If you drive where theres road hazards, you need to consider keeping the covers on.

The problem with the covers is that sometimes the nut on the back cover will just spin in the plastic
this is a common problem - I just force the cover (and the stupid metal sleeve) out, and use a flange nut behind the cover and a longer bolt to hold the cover on - I probably have half the bolts for the covers attached this way, and it works fine

it is also true about where you live being a factor as to consiquences of running with/without covers - I a lot of driving in all conditions, and I need maximum reliability so there's no question for me

I put never seize on the cover bolts early on. Never have trouble getting them out after that. Also, I came across an update on the timing belt interval. It was changed to 40K miles. I only had one make it past 60K, and could not figure out what I was doing wrong. They had all made it past 40K.

Dave