Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket question 1996 OB

Hey Guys

I just bought the above wagon...supposed to need head gaskets

Seems that there are some bubbles in antifreeze when running

Drove it...temp good for a few minutes....but seems to lack power...like it is running on 2 1/2 clinders going up a grade or hill---Is this typical when needing head gaskets?

Pulled into driveway and temp gauge was nearing top...some antifreeze appears to have blown out of top of reservoir.....interesting tho that even though the upper and lower radiator hoses were warm, the radiator itself felt cold....?

All insight/experience welcome

Also...check engine light was on...and at one time it was blinking

Yep, HG and possible bent valves if you have no compression. Is the overflow tank black and looks like an oil slick? Its HG for sure. CCRengines for a rebuilt or a good 95 2.2 are your best bet.

actually it is a 9 2.5

no oil in reservoir

why a bent valve?

could compression be low just due to bad HG?

actually it is a 9 2.5

no oil in reservoir

why a bent valve?

could compression be low just due to bad HG?

more than likely coolant blowing into cylnder not letting plug fire= no power.does oil have a milky look? radiator was cold because no coolant had been running thru it for a little while,the hoses were warm from the block heat.

There may or may not be oil in the coolant, depending upon whether or not the oil feed is leaking. Low compression in one cylinder, bubbles in the coolant, and temp going up are all indicators of a BHG. A bent valve would be a problem if the timing belt broke. In any case, a valve problem could be corrected when replacing HGs. Send the heads to a machine shop, have them resurfaced and leak checked. Make sure none of the oil galleys are plugged up with metal debris, etc. when the come back! My coworker has to redo a head job thanks to blocked oil galleys that caused one of the cams to seize up!:banghead:

no coolant in oil.....

I just want to be sure that the engine is okay before doing HG/timing belt/water pump/tensioners--the works

So....assuming the anti-freeze is the reason for poor acceleration, would a compression test be adequate to tell me that the engine is okay?

One good thing is that I can tell from the receipts that the lady (original owner) changed oil regularly

When I get close to being ready, I will be asking advice for what all to replace while doing HG job--I am very familiar with the loyale type Sub --done timing belts many times--am a little apprehensive about the Legacy since never touching one

I was told that the HG job can be done with engine in...true?

There may or may not be oil in the coolant, depending upon whether or not the oil feed is leaking. Low compression in one cylinder, bubbles in the coolant, and temp going up are all indicators of a BHG. A bent valve would be a problem if the timing belt broke. In any case, a valve problem could be corrected when replacing HGs. Send the heads to a machine shop, have them resurfaced and leak checked. Make sure none of the oil galleys are plugged up with metal debris, etc. when the come back! My coworker has to redo a head job thanks to blocked oil galleys that caused one of the cams to seize up!:banghead:

He mentioned a replacement 2.2 because they are much more reliable than the 2.5 engines. The 2.5s are much more susceptable to HG failures, especially the early DOHC models. The cost at a shop is often $1200+ to have it fixed, and many people opt to replace it with the more reliable 2.2 which has noticably better fuel economy and little reduction in power output.

You will probably have to resurface the heads in addition to replacing the HG and other associated components. You may consider swapping a new engine in a much easier and possibly more reliable long-term alternative.

That being said, the new gaskets from subaru are much better than the old, and less likely to leak.

Good luck