Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback LTD now has an EJ22 from 95 Legacy

Hi Folks.

The swap out went without a hitch (very smoothly), just like predicted on this board. Thanks for your help.

I put a new oil pan on the EJ22, the original was stoned chipped.

No codes showed up and the car started just like new.

Just have to turn the rotors and I'll be on the road. All other systems appear to be serviceable.

Hopefully the struts are ok, the car has 300k KM.

Long live the Subaru.

Cheers :D

• 4 weeks later...

The '97 EJ25 (Phase 1) is known for having issues with internal headgasket leaks. It's also an interference engine, so if you lose the timing belt, it chews itself up (well, not really, but you've got a lot of work in front of you, regardless).

The '95 EJ22 doesn't have those headgasket issues, and it's a noninterference engine.

I've noticed a bit of a power loss, but the way I drive, I'll never notice it.

I would imagine that most of the engine swaps are done when the 2.5 head gasket(s) decide to blow. Then the owner faces the decision of repairing the 2.5 or swapping in the 2.2. For me - the 2.5 in my '98 OBW has an internal noise, so I found a '95 2.2 (w/90k) locally for $350, then put an additional $100 in parts on it before putting it in. Should last for a long time. The engine has to come out either way... it's just your choice on the amount you want to spend and the amount of downtime that you have.

Steve H.

while on the topic of older but possibly superior moters i noticed that teh subaru canada rally teram's car is using an engine listed as a 1994ccm 4 cylinder boxer engine which i assume = 2.0 literrs so it would be an EJ20, but are they not using the newer 2.5 or even teh 2.2 fomr the early 90's due to weight or is there another reason?

while on the topic of older but possibly superior moters i noticed that teh subaru canada rally teram's car is using an engine listed as a 1994ccm 4 cylinder boxer engine which i assume = 2.0 literrs so it would be an EJ20, but are they not using the newer 2.5 or even teh 2.2 fomr the early 90's due to weight or is there another reason?

The '02-05 WRX used a 2.0 turbo motor to comply with rally regulations. For '06, the US-spec car went to a 2.5, but the rally cars still use a 2.0.