Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gentlemen, I am at your mercy.

I've got two EA82 wagons; a '90 Loyale turbo (blown head gasket, auto trans, okay body), and an '87 GL NA (Runs rough,5-speed/LSD, great body). I reckon that between the two I can make one decent daily driver, and one ***************in' rig. But I am desperately in need of advice. I don't visit this forum as often as I should, and for a n00b there is so much information here that wading through all of it to find the nuggets I need is quite frankly a little daunting. You guys really know your $h1t!!!

So here it is, guys (and ladies, oops): Assuming I can take care of the daily driver on my own (it's all pretty basic)Could you, in one thread, describe the mods a fella like me needs to get started on the off-road rig? Answer dumb questions like "EJ swap and 5-lug conversion--yea or nea?" I've got a decent budget for this, BTW.

Any advice or help you could offer would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Pics will be posted. Jollity and merriment will ensue.

That is EXZACTLY the idea. But I guess what I was asking is, how much work is involved in each of those steps? How should I prioritize them, and how long would each take? The 87 is gonna get turned into the rig--it's got the dual-range trans already, and by far the better body. If stiffer springs are in order, what are the good donor vehicles? I assume that the lift kits out there are all roughly similar in quality, but which one gives me longer CV life? And is there anything I should do to set the car up specifically for mud and dirt (I live in Florida), not big rocks and crawlin'? Basically, what would YOU do to set up YOUR dream GL? Links to previous tech articles/threads? I remember reading a lot of them like a year ago, but I can not find them now to save my soul.

Guys, nothing would make me happier than to get together at Pizza Luce in D'loot for a few Summits. Sadly (ha!) I live in Florida and can't make the drive home after a night like that.

But I'm curious to know what you have to say about the various lift kits available, like what I can expect for CV life expectancy/ease of maintenance/accvessability/buildability et cetera. just thumbnail comparos if ya wanna post 'em, or if toes are gonna get stepped on, PMs work just fine. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have all the tools I need except a welder (but I have friends who do have 'em), therefore this is a doable, quick-build proposition.

For what its worth, I was just out measuring the 8-lug wheels on my van, and they are 7X15, with the bolt holes looking pretty damn close to matching up; every other hole is damn near 140mm. 15" truck steelies can be got cheap as dirt, but waddabout the offset? I am going to get to the bottom of this with teh qu1ckn3ss!!

Well, I've only had this BYB rig for a week or so, and haven't had a chance to wheel it...yet, but in person, the rear suspension blocks make me nervous.

but the three companies are pretty much identical. if you want to go 6", get an SJR kit. if 4" is enough (and it probably is). Then it pretty much comes down to price, and availability. CV life isn't effected almost at all by any kit offered. as long as you don't go nuts with the adjustable suspension. which you shouldn't, it just limits your travel.

lots of good info in that FAQ...then hang around the offroad forum, and you'll pick up plenty.

why does your profile say you're from wisconsin?

Yeah, I'm gonna hold off on the EJ swap for now.

I feel much less panicky now; I just spent a couple hours looking through some archived material, this is gonna be a piece of cake. And, of course, no one wants to see me fail at saving a nice old wagon from the crusher and turning it into a trail-stomper!! You guys rule!