Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thrush muffler?

Hey anyone put a thrush muffler like this one on a suby? Im thinking about one for my EA81 sedan. Im not looking to make it super loud...just an nice low tone and reduced backpressure a little. It will still be running stock exhaust otherwise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Thrush-Glass-Pack-Muffler-1of-3-Wood-pecker-Rat-Rod_W0QQitemZ4614101828QQcategoryZ34203QQssPageNameZWD6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey anyone put a thrush muffler like this one on a suby? Im thinking about one for my EA81 sedan. Im not looking to make it super loud...just an nice low tone and reduced backpressure a little. It will still be running stock exhaust otherwise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Thrush-Glass-Pack-Muffler-1of-3-Wood-pecker-Rat-Rod_W0QQitemZ4614101828QQcategoryZ34203QQssPageNameZWD6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thrush Mufflers are usually really loud. I've had friends put them on V8s and 4-Cyl, and they are loud and raspy.

If you want a good low tone, look for a Turbo II muffler. Those pretty good on 4-Cyl cars.

I had one on my blue wagon (until it fell off.....don't use muffler clamps on a glasspack), and I've got 2 on my black one (previous owner). They're great, very nice sound, and not too much, especially if you've still got a cat. they sound alot better than the cheap cherry bomb glass packs!

I don't think that's quite the right size. the one I bought for my blue wagon was 2" ID and fit perfect.

i have a thrush glasspack on with my cat and i have a low rumble.it is louder,but for ************s sake,its a 4 cylinder.....trust me until you have run your car without an exhaust at all....nothing is loud after that......(i do not suggest this,it is really bad for your motor):burnout:

a short clip of me last summer at the crawl 4 the cure. That's stock exhaust with a thrush glasspack instead of the muffler

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul04_craw4cure/numbchux_attitute_alley.AVI

ok thanks Numbchux. From the sound of that clip its not super loud..it just has a nice low rumble. I dont mind it being a bit louder than stock..i mean i have a IROC camaro with a 3 inch flowmaster exhaust and that thing is loud..but i love it. I just dont want it to sound like a damn ricer. is the one in the picture that i started this thread with similar to the one that you have? What one should fit nicely on my car? Im going to need to get a shop to bend a piece of exhaust for me because the muffler(including the piece of pipe that bends up to it) is really hurting. I have a low rumble right now because of the ping pong sized rust hole in the exhaust. What diameter tub should i look at. the stock exhaust on these things isnt 2 inches is it? Thanks for any info.

the one I've got looks more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynomax-24222-Muffler-Thrush-Header-Glasspack-Red_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ8038923218QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I just measured the OD of the pipe I wanted to attach it to: 2" and then did a search on ebay for a glasspack, found the cheapest one with a 2" inlet, and bought it.

• 1 month later...

Well guys i ended up having to get a new muffler sooner than i thought. My old one was about ready to fall off so i shopped around and found a nice Dynomax high flow muffler for a good price. 52 for the muffler, 60 for the shop to put it in. Its quiet but the power is nice. Thanks for the advise guys.