Ultimate Subaru Message Board

After cleaning up and rebuilding the bottom end of my EJ22, I checked the dimentions of everything in the head and cleaned up any carbon deposits.

I didn't have the money to have a valve job done, so I reassembled everything with new gaskets, water pump, and whatnot. I finally got it properly timed today, and I noticed that my intake valve leak. You can hear air hissing past them when I crank the engine by hand. Will this solve itself when I get the engine installed and running, or should I tear the heads back off and down and pay for a valve job?

After cleaning up and rebuilding the bottom end of my EJ22, I checked the dimentions of everything in the head and cleaned up any carbon deposits.

I didn't have the money to have a valve job done, so I reassembled everything with new gaskets, water pump, and whatnot. I finally got it properly timed today, and I noticed that my intake valve leak. You can hear air hissing past them when I crank the engine by hand. Will this solve itself when I get the engine installed and running, or should I tear the heads back off and down and pay for a valve job?

At the very least, everytime a cylinder head is torn down, you need to lap the valves to give them a good seal. It is cheap insurance.

Cranking the engine by hand, any engine, you will hear air leaking, its normal. Remeber the engine is made rto seal at better then 100 rpm, not one rpm every 3 minutes.

Dont worry

nipper