Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken Axle

The front passenger axle on my 1990 subaru loyale broke and I was wondering if I could use the drivers side axle from a 1987 subaru of mine to replace it, are axles reversable? Also, It broke from the differential side and pulled out the part that the pin disconnects from the axle. Everything looks okay in there but was wondering if that pretty much means I will have to replace the seals. Can the part be manually removed? So I can switch that part out from the 87 to the 90. Thanks all

I believe they are reversible, but don't bother. the drive axle/cv joints are always going, and if your pulling it off of an older car, with probably lots of miles on it, then this job will have to be done again......just pull it out, get your core deposit, and get a whole rebuilt drive axle....next time pay attention to the clicking noise getting louder.....buena suerte

The front passenger axle on my 1990 subaru loyale broke and I was wondering if I could use the drivers side axle from a 1987 subaru of mine to replace it, are axles reversable? Also, It broke from the differential side and pulled out the part that the pin disconnects from the axle. Everything looks okay in there but was wondering if that pretty much means I will have to replace the seals. Can the part be manually removed? So I can switch that part out from the 87 to the 90. Thanks all

I hear you loud and clear on getting a new one, but this axle was in great shape so im gonna go for it. Any one have any thoughts on the axle pulling out of the dif with the pin and stub that is supposed to release the axle from the dif? Also what is a good lube to use on the hub bearings, they are good but will need lube.

let me put in my vote on 'new' verses used axles, as someone who's replaced more axles than I can, or would care to, count, both used, and remanufactured. You're average 'new' remanufactured axle is total crap. and won't last very long at all, even under normal use. but an OEM subaru axle, no matter how old, as long as the boot is kept in good condition, will last hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles.

it sounds like you're diff stub has come out of the tranny. is this on your driver? or your parts car? if it's the car you're driving, the axle's probably fine, and the diff bearings went out, causing the stub to work itself loose. if it's on the parts car, and you want to get the stub out of the axle. a vice and a MAPP torch can be invaluable tools!

oh yea, and the axles are reversable from one side to the other

The axle stub came out of my driver. It has had a bad axle for a while and I hit a rock pretty hard going up stevens pass "High way 2" and knew something had broke. Towed home by AAA. Is there anyway to tell the extent of the damage. What do I probably need to replace on the stub entrance to the tranny. My haynes will probaly help, im at work now so I am trying to gather info while I wait.

assuming nothing is wrong, the stub will slide back in. i would assume the bad cv axle worked the stub loose, that's no big deal. there is definitely no need to do a transmission swap, installing a stub takes about 8 seconds. i've pulled stubs out before, they are held in place by a circlip at the base on the trans side of the stub...i think. it's been awhile. post a picture of it if you can, that will jog my memory. if the circlip is still dangling from the stub, then just press it back in. might take some leverage or gentle tapping with a mallet to pop it in. if you yank on a CV still connected to the trans the stubs pull out relatively easily, that's not a big deal at all. do not bother thinking about replacing the seal there either, big PITA. if your stub doesn't have that circlip then maybe my memory is failing. either way, i've pulled them out and reinstalled them before and it's really easy, that's the bottom line.

used Subaru CV joints are excellent candidates for replacement. the boot may break but the axles never do. i've had a couple 200,000+ mile XT6's that i've driven off road and lots of miles with broken boots and the only axle i've ever had break was a new (remane'd) with about 50 miles or less on it. i've driven the subaru axles 50,000 miles front and 100,000 miles on the rear with broken boots and clicking...but they never break (for me).

used Subaru CV joints are excellent candidates for replacement. the boot may break but the axles never do. i've had a couple 200,000+ mile XT6's that i've driven off road and lots of miles with broken boots and the only axle i've ever had break was a new (remane'd) with about 50 miles or less on it. i've driven the subaru axles 50,000 miles front and 100,000 miles on the rear with broken boots and clicking...but they never break (for me).

Thats kind of funny, because I've snapped brand NEW axles on the front. I didnt just snap the DOJ. This straight snapped the axle in the middle where its 1 inch thick steel. And that was on my carb'd wagon before I did anything to the engine.

Never snapped a rear axle, just spun the cups. Either way, I've gotten 2 years out of a JY axle, so thats the way I roll. I got 2 sets of rears and a set of fronts sitting at the shop at all times. I priced it out. 68 bucks for a reman'd rear axle. Seems cheaper to goto the yard and pull two of them for 10 bucks

My stub does have a circle clip stil on it that came from inside the transmission/dif housing. Is this the peice that if it was still in the tranny would be the problem. I will post a pic tonight or tomarrow depending on work hours for verifacation. Thank you all very much and I appreciate any opinions

assuming nothing is wrong, the stub will slide back in. i would assume the bad cv axle worked the stub loose, that's no big deal. there is definitely no need to do a transmission swap, installing a stub takes about 8 seconds. i've pulled stubs out before, they are held in place by a circlip at the base on the trans side of the stub...i think. it's been awhile. post a picture of it if you can, that will jog my memory. if the circlip is still dangling from the stub, then just press it back in. might take some leverage or gentle tapping with a mallet to pop it in. if you yank on a CV still connected to the trans the stubs pull out relatively easily, that's not a big deal at all. do not bother thinking about replacing the seal there either, big PITA. if your stub doesn't have that circlip then maybe my memory is failing. either way, i've pulled them out and reinstalled them before and it's really easy, that's the bottom line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks for addressing this, will put my torn boot to the test ;).

as for reman's, how does CVO of Ocala (cvaxles.com)rank? others seem to think they're pretty good...

as for reman's, how does CVO of Ocala (cvaxles.com)rank? others seem to think they're pretty good...

I've heard great things.....as far as reman's go.....it's still much much cheaper and easier for me to stop at my local UPullRParts and get one.