Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilding an EA81T

So how hard is it? Not really looking at doing any high perf. work just getting it going again. Heres the deal I just got a new T-Coupe with a motor issue. Prev owner said said cracked head, he had it repaired once before. I got it running and it was boiling out radiator and blowing out tailpipe. I have a T-Brat I'm thinking of stealing the motor from to get the car back on the road but I was thinking of either rebuilding the motor to put back in the T-Brat or going to an other motor. So if I rebuild how hard is it?

If you dont have the special tool you can split the case slightly, and tip the case halves \ / and access the rod cap bolts and get as many as you can then flip the case over and do the same thing again...frustrating but you eventually can reach all 8 nuts and get the piston and upper half of the rod to come out their bores.

well maybe I should rephrase a little, when running it was quiet and actually sounded good outside of antifreeze going everywhere.So I'm not sure if it needs tearing down that far,so how bad is a head job to do? I've done my share of standard v8's and v6's but no internal stuff done on one of these. Am I over thinking this stuff?

I got my ea81 apart with no speacial tools,2 wrist pins came out like butter,the other 2 took a little time working back and forth with heavy snap ring pliers and some penetrating oil to melt the carbon. Its actually a fun job if your use to inlines and V engines. The flat 4 is such a neat design. Sounds like you should just do the heads on yours,bottom ends on these subis seem to be almost bullet proof. Good luck!

head gaskets are easy. best bet would be to get two used heads (sounds like you can pull them from another motor?), have them milled, valve job and cleaned before you start on the motor. the longest part of the job is cleaning up the heads, head bolts and head bolt holes. having heads ready to throw on saves a ton of time.